News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

New Kindle

Started by Wildfisher, November 19, 2011, 04:58:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wildfisher

Quote from: Malcolm on November 19, 2011, 07:40:55 PM
The problem with these multi purpose jobs is the battery life - Kindle is about 800-1000 mins and these are about 140-200mins. It would run out of battery half way through a flight!

that is a very good point actually.

Black-Don

There was an ad on tv tonight for the Kindle, Isla thought it was a cool idea but I just can't get over the idea of having a proper book to read.

If anyone likes historical novels BTW, the Conn Igggulden conqueror serious about Genghis Khan is pretty good, IMO anyway.

River Chatter

If you do get the Kindle be careful with the screen as my daughter's got trashed just by getting knocked around in her schoolbag.  Amazon replaced it though without any problem so customer service seems ok.

tomcatin

I know it makes me feel like a luddite ....... but just the thought of using a Kindle depresses me  :(

........ and I would never trust myself in the Bath with £89 worth of technology

Pages dry, but Kindles die  :D
Sadly my 7' 5 weight that killed fascists is deceased!

So in respect and in memorium, PLEASE DONATE TO AND SUPPORT THE WILD FISHING FORUM

Crawhin

Got a kindle back in March and have used it a lot since. I like the fact that it does just one thing really well. The battery life is huge so it's great for long trips and you can store hundreds if not thousands of books on it. As RC says though, you do need a pouch or case to protect the screen when in transit etc. Some things you'll still want on actual paper (images dont come out very well and navigating back and forth within books is a bit awkward e.g.) so reference or photo-rich books etc don't work so well. But for straight text and especially novels etc I'd highly recommend it.  

Ian

Wildfisher

Than you gents for all the feedback. I know it's not a huge amount of money, but there is nothing like opinions from actual users and those who know these devices. Is the Kindle screen just plain monochrome? 

Traditionalist

Depends on the model you get;

http://www.amazon.com/Kindle-Fire-Amazon-Tablet/dp/B0051VVOB2

Scroll down for tech specs and comparisons of the Kindles.

TL
MC

River Chatter

Imagine reading a book with just black ink printed on grey paper and you'll have a good idea of the Kindle's screen.  It uses some sort of digital ink technology that doesn't flicker like a computer or tablet screen which is easy on the eye - just like a book - which sets it apart and makes for easy reading.  It works well in bright sunshine too.  It's quite impressive really, of a little drab to look at.  I'll probably buy one eventually, but will wait for a bit more development first.  An off white page background would improve it as would colour.

Wildfisher

Just discovered something about the Kindle that may put me off.

In the US - $79
In the UK - 89 QUID!  

What a f*****g rip-off! Even allowing for 20% UK VAT Amazon UK is shafting us big time!

Black-Don

Rip off Britain strikes again  :(

Go To Front Page