News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

The Reelsmith's Primer- Book Review

Started by Inchlaggan, March 21, 2012, 12:06:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Inchlaggan

"The Reelsmith's Primer" Michael L J Hackney

Pretty much does what it says on the tin. Highly detailed, step by step instructions on the building of an old-style, brass fly reel. As the title suggests, this is aimed at the absolute beginner with no access to a machine shop. Taking on that remit is no easy task, but Dr Hackney (the self-styled "Eclectic Angler") completes it with aplomb. A standard electric drill is converted to a lathe, and the complexities of drilling and tapping accurately into the end of a 3/16th brass rod are neatly sidestepped. In truth, few of the tools required will be found in the weekend DIY man's shed- tapered reamer, jewellers saw, 0.0260" drill bit etc. But they do not cost much to buy. Screws and materials are US standard, so some substitutions will be required in the UK.
This would, at first glance, devalue the worth of the book were it not for the accompanying Reelsmith's Forum website. Here there is a 24 page addendum to the book, hints and tips, UK suppliers etc. Purchase of the book grants access to a password protected area from which templates can be downloaded, and used full-size to save on layout and marking problems.
Materials in such small quantities may be hard to source,  1" of  1" dia Delrin rod is required for the spool. To date the shortest length I can find to buy in the UK is 2ft, but that is only around £5. In the US, Dr Hackney solves this problem by offering a full kit of materials, which can be bought as a deal along with the book- www.eclecticangler.com
(I'll be posting UK suppliers on the Reelsmith's Forum, once I've tried them out.)
It might be thought that the book was over-simplified for someone with engineering experience and access to a machine shop. The answer is "yes", but only if you have already built your own reel. For the rest of us Dr Hackney has confronted and resolved all the problems saving a great deal of time and brain-sweat. A lathe, mill, pillar drill and knowledge of their use will save some time and effort.
As is stated in the introduction, a great number of anglers have long enjoyed catching on a fly of their own tying, a smaller number on a rod of their own making to which can now be added a reel.
For $25 (plus postage) that's the "Real Deal"-------sorry!

'til a voice as bad as conscience,
rang interminable changes,
on an everlasting whisper,
day and night repeated so-
"Something hidden, go and find it,
Go and look beyond the ranges,
Something lost beyond the ranges,
Lost and waiting for you,
Go."

zeolite

This sounds like a great present for my father (a retired toolmaker with a lathe in the garage).

i look forward to the result.
Schrodinger's troots pictured above.

Inchlaggan

Quote from: zeolite on March 21, 2012, 04:59:59 PM
This sounds like a great present for my father (a retired toolmaker with a lathe in the garage).

i look forward to the result.

You'll save a bit buying in the US. I am struggling to get ALL the materials in the UK at a reasonable price- the lengths required are just too small. Take a look at the Reelsmithing Forum (I use the same username there) and consider buying the materials along with the book. Alternatively, if I have to buy excess (i.e. nobody in the UK will sell me a 6" length and I have to buy 24" lengths) I'll make up a bag of materials for you.
'til a voice as bad as conscience,
rang interminable changes,
on an everlasting whisper,
day and night repeated so-
"Something hidden, go and find it,
Go and look beyond the ranges,
Something lost beyond the ranges,
Lost and waiting for you,
Go."

Go To Front Page