News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

How Often Do You Buy Fishing Magazines?

Started by Wildfisher, January 19, 2012, 10:10:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

How Often Do You Buy Fishing Magazines?

Every Month
6 (12%)
Now and then
11 (22%)
Rarely or never
33 (66%)

Total Members Voted: 34

Wildfisher

Quote from: Tweed on January 19, 2012, 02:25:29 PM
Call me old fashioned, but there is something nice about flicking through the pages of a hard copy

That's exactly how I feel about books. Add to that the joy in owning something that lasts, something that can constantly be gone back to. I can't get that from mags though.

Black-Don

I'd rather read a book than a Kindle but when you have to buy 3 mags to get something to read for an hour or 2 at a cost of  between £10 & £12 total than it's a bit of a no-brainer.

jimmyw

I haven't bought a fishing magizine for many a year,although my son bought me two on my birthday along with a box of sweets.
The mags are lying in the spareroom. The sweets are long gone.
fishing is a way of life .

Guddler

The most repeated message here seems to be "used to buy them but now don't bother" - either people are fed up with content/format or find the online experience more relevant.
I'm a relative newcomer to flyfishing so have just taken a subscription for a 2nd year of FF & FT as there's still enough in it for me but, yeah, I could see that changing in future if the experience becomes similarly jaded.

I don't think you can compare the likes of this forum with the mags. I see FF & FT as a little treat to myself and there's a good chance I'll pick up some useful info or ideas. On the other hand the Forum is a constantly increasing mine of information, a bit of a Wildipedia of trooty knowledge but fully interactive too as questions are asked, ideas exchanged with fun and entertainment thrown into the bargain.  :D

jimmul

My new years resolution not to buy any mags this year and put the money into a jar to pay for the odd days fishing
Jim

Wildfisher

If you want a hard copy books must surely  be the way?  That said I would never buy a book by writers like Stan (I got my "Bible"  sent as a review copy from the publisher) and certainly never ever ever ever .....   by writers like Paul Procter. That  genre /  style I find utterly  soulless. Just my opinion of course, different strokes and all that.

I just bought a second hand, good  copy of "Isolation Shepherd" for 2 quid.

Juxtaposition "Beneath The Black Water" for 7 quid  and FF+FT for 3 quid +. 

As Donald says, it's a no brainer.

Robbie

As many others seem to have done, I used to buy some of the magazines but soon found that they became repetitive and gave up on them.  Trout and Salmon and Fly Fishing and Fly Tying lasted for a couple of years.  Admittedly I still buy the occasional copy of these publications, maybe two in the last year.

Recently I bought the Oliver Edwards DVD on wet fly fishing.  I have not watched all the fly tying sequences yet but found the fishing techniques very informative.  Have to say that there was less on the technique than I expected for the cost.  However I feel like I have gained far more from this DVD than all of the fishing magazines I have ever read.  Perhaps this format could be the way forward, not sure how long you could make it run for.

Wildfisher

Quote from: Robbie on January 19, 2012, 06:46:03 PM
However I feel like I have gained far more from this DVD than all of the fishing magazines I have ever read. 

I would agree with that. There is nothing beats a demo.

Casting articles in mags are the most ludicrous of all. Pointless imo. You will learn more in 5 minutes on youtube.

tomcatin

Confession .......... I do buy T&S and FF&FT from time to time (mostly to read on the train/plane but mostly to leave on my desk at work as light relief from staring at a computer screen). There are occasional gems and I am impressed by FF&FT attempts at campaigning on key salmonoid issues (equally they understand who their audience are!) and of course, Bruce Sandison's columns.

I mistakenly bought Trout once; that is unmitigated garbage!

Occasionally on my way into work I stop at Brothwick's (?) newsagent at the bottom of Orchard Brae in Edinburgh and they stock some american magazines, the best of which the name of which escapes me. It is excellent (the first sign of quality is the lack of adverts and full page photography); well written articles about fishing and conservation/access issues.  There is also another american magazine called "Flyfishing and Flytying Journal" which is no where near as good, but I have bought twice for the cracking fly tying recipes. 
Sadly my 7' 5 weight that killed fascists is deceased!

So in respect and in memorium, PLEASE DONATE TO AND SUPPORT THE WILD FISHING FORUM

Otter Spotter

Buy T&S if I get caught up in some traffic disruption they shut a bridge or there are leaves on the line and I end up hanging about in a station. Alan has hit the nail on the head for me an excellent set of observations, they are all the same! But there are some that would argue that the best part of £4 is well worth it to keep up to date with the adventures of Stan (He catches big fish ALWAYS you know).
I used to be a surrealist but now I'm just fish.

Go To Front Page