News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

Paul Young - Hooked On Fishing DVDs

Started by Wildfisher, July 16, 2012, 07:47:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wildfisher

Got this boxed set of 3 at a bargain price. There is one DVD on Scotland, one on England, one on Ireland

Watched the Scottish one.  Holy ****,  with the vast scope of  real fishing available in Scotland who on earth wants to fish for domesticated, 1/2 tame  stockies, browns  or rainbows, far less make a DVD about it?   There is one decent episode, trolling for salmon and pike. The rest is rubbish imo. What a shame, really. I like Paul Young and the films are well produced, professionally shot, but the  content is suitable only for those who  love stockie bashing.

If you enjoy real fishing don't waste your money on that one.

I'll report on the other two DVDs once I have viewed them.

trout n about

Paul Young is good to watch Fred, but i prefered his first Hooked on Scottish :D

Andy

Wildfisher

Paul Young is good to watch Andy. To see him fishing for rank stockies in a place that offers as much as Scotland does is poor show. There is no excuse for it. A stockie - rainbow  or brown -  is always a stockie, no matter how "bonny" it is or how long it has been in the water. It's still a stockie. At best second rate, if even that. Not real fishing, anyone who believes it is,  is delusional. To promote that as Scottish fishing is poor show.  Scotland has so much more to offer. The episode where he trolling for salmon on Awe and pike in N.I. is so good in comparison.

fergie

I loved the early episodes especially the trolling ones with Aya and Ron great tv i used to tape them all and watch them over and over.I suppose he had to include stockie bashing because like it or not its part of fishing in scotland. No matter how shit it is.

alancrob

I like PY...but!

The episode where he showed us how to use a tube....on Swanswater! Or fishing for "land-locked"salmon in Englandshire?

He has had the opportunity to fish some great places, he fished the same stretch of a river On Vancouver Island with the same guide as me, and I like him as a presenter but he has sold his sole  too often.

Well seeing he knows his place and does not come on this forum.

A.

corriekiller

Fair feckin  play lads PY is no that bad av seen that program an he catchs some fish wi  crackin colours must get my arse in gear and get over there.  Too much fishin not enough time.

Wildfisher

Quote from: fergie on July 16, 2012, 11:57:56 PM
I suppose he had to include stockie bashing because like it or not its part of fishing in scotland. No matter how shit it is.

That's true Fergie, but there are 4 episodes on the DVD and 3 of the 4 are stockie bashing. That's pretty poor really, but possibly reflects the way fishing has become dumbed-down even in Scotland where there is so much scope for real fishing.

Fishtales

Or, like in here, he tends to keep the wild fishing away from public viewing :roll: :8)
Don't worry, be happy.
Sandy
Carried it in full, then carry it out empty.
http://www.ftscotland.co.uk/

Looking for a webhost? Try http://www.1and1.co.uk/?k_id=2966019

Inchlaggan

Get off his back, he went where the producers sent him. They, in turn, are driven by viewing figures or advertising revenue.
I met him at a charity event we were running in Paisley Cathedral, there was a reception for the celebrities afterwards and I spoke with him for a hour or more. His knowledge and experience of the wild and remote areas of Scotland was only exceeded by his enthusiasm for them. He correctly remembered the names of pools and features of my local waters and expressed a wish to return. This was confounded by his filming schedule - "Patagonian Trout next month", its a tough job etc.
To be paid enough to fish wherever I wanted, for fishing for whatever and wherever in the world they wanted, would suit me fine- stockies included.
'til a voice as bad as conscience,
rang interminable changes,
on an everlasting whisper,
day and night repeated so-
"Something hidden, go and find it,
Go and look beyond the ranges,
Something lost beyond the ranges,
Lost and waiting for you,
Go."

Wildfisher

Quote from: Inchlaggan on July 17, 2012, 03:27:08 PM
Get off his back, he went where the producers sent him.

Honest your honour, I was only following the orders of my superiors. It's their fault really, I just took the money.   :lol:

Have since watched the English DVD, well most of it until I could take no more and pressed eject. 100% rainbow fishing.  No great surprise there. Unlike in Scotland it's what's available to the masses.

Only the Irish one to go now. Let's hope it's better so far it's been abysmal stuff and a complete waste of money. Thank goodness for Arthur Ransome and Sir Michael Hordern.

Go To Front Page