News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

Paul Young - Hooked On Fishing DVDs

Started by Wildfisher, July 16, 2012, 07:47:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wildfisher

Quote from: fishtales on July 17, 2012, 02:44:30 PM
Or, like in here, he tends to keep the wild fishing away from public viewing

Sandy, no  one in their right mind is going to broadcast details of their  "special" places on TV.  However their  are 1001 locations, club and association waters etc  that represent what real Scottish fishing  is about far  better than does stockie bashing at Kingennie, a couple of reservoirs in Glen Devon and Loch Fad in Bute. 

Fishtales

Ah! Isn't that where the target audience, i.e. the majority of Central belt anglers, fish? I know loads of guys who fish these places regularly and seldom fish for brown trout never mind hill lochs :) There are a few who do both so they will buy the videos too. The only ones to find the whole lot unappealing would be the dyed in the wool wild fisher and there are very few of those, even in here.
Don't worry, be happy.
Sandy
Carried it in full, then carry it out empty.
http://www.ftscotland.co.uk/

Looking for a webhost? Try http://www.1and1.co.uk/?k_id=2966019

Wildfisher

Quote from: fishtales on July 17, 2012, 05:49:51 PM
Ah! Isn't that where the target audience, i.e. the majority of Central belt anglers, fish?

I don't know who the target audience is, but I would guess  UK fishermen in general?  In any case, the DVD is entitled Hooked on Fishing Scotland, not Hooked on Fishing Central Belt Stockie Bashing.

I found the Scottish  DVD, apart from the trolling episode,  very tedious. Others after viewing it may disagree, but I guess that what opinions and reviews are about.

jimmul

Are they the ones that are on youtube, as  most of them are pretty good Fred and all full length
Hooked with Paul Young - Cape Wrath    for example.
But I know what you mean about stockie bashing, why would you with all that nice water and scenery to go at
Jim

burnie

But what about all those stockies in New Zealand Fred? all Loch Leven fish I believe...................... :worried

Wildfisher

Quote from: jimmul on July 17, 2012, 06:32:56 PM
Are they the ones that are on youtube, as  most of them are pretty good Fred and all full length

Like most of us I saw lots of good Paul Young programmes back in  the 90s Jim, including the one at  Cape Wrath.  In fact I bought these DVDs on the strength of  that.  Paul Young always comes across well, he is a trained actor, so he should do. The content of the programmes on this DVD are not of the same standard.

13Fisher1

So don't watch them anymore Fred (please!). Having fished with Paul Young I share the other comments on his appreciation, knowledge and sincerity about fishing and Scotland. So you may not agree or appreciate the content of these particular production but others will and each to their own

Wildfisher

Yes Colin to each his own for sure and to each his own opinion!

I have just watched the Irish DVD. Completely different. Fly fishing for trout, pike, pollock and bream fishing. Not a pellet pig in sight.

Now if I were, let's say, an American angler planning a visit to the British Isles and wondering where to fish I might watch these DVDs.

Then I'd head for Ireland. 

A very poor advert for Scotland imo.

Highlander

QuoteA very poor advert for Scotland imo
I have to agree, I have not seen the videos but I have seen every episode of Hooked on Scotland, Fishing, Road Trip etc at some point. If you have the Discovery channels on TV you will know what I mean.
His programmes are repeated along with the other  usual suspects time & time again on that channel.
I often remark how young (pun excuse) he looks in his earlier ones in fact he often appears in the old Rod & Line magazine a youthfull chap then.
At the time they were "good" to watch because quite simply there was not much more at the time. He has an infectious personality & came over very well no doubt being the trained actor he is helps immensely. Having said that Robson Green is a trained actor  :roll:
Worst one I saw was the one where he fished a winter Fitty with a coarse rod for Rainbows oh & the Killern Fishery one was dire as well. The Fad one was on only this week. His later offerings on "The Road trip" series were far far better.
He still crops up on TV, I remember a Still Game episode where he plays an old man, hell he (Shug The Lug ) is an old man.
:roll:
You can not blame the producer well you can because the producer is a fisherman & the production team comprises Paul Young as part of that team.
What is it Fair Line Productions something like that?
PS That time the rod was pulled out his hand into the river was a classic.
" The Future's Bright The Future's Wet Fly"

Nemo me impune lacessit

jimmul

Fred having not seen the dvds you have,  I think I will stick to watching the old ones on youtube, for me, even though I live in a nice part of England, I still hanker after the hills of the north with the hill lochs, fantastic rivers and beautiful mountains, if I want to fish, most of the rivers and  lakes around here are stocked at some level which is a crying shame but is the norm, the Wharfe where I fish most has a good head of wild fish which is what I choose to target. But could never understand why you would want to fish for stockies in Scotland unless you don't know any better! Maybe Paul Young and whoever else is making fishing tv is missing an oppurtunity to point the younger end in the right direction, like the Jack Hargreaves or Arthur Ransomes or Bernard Venables of our generation did for us, as has been discussed on here before. Ok I'll take my rose tinted glasses off now, but it would be nice, even if they made those sort of programes for us!
Jim

Go To Front Page