News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

My own book

Started by bushy palmer, August 14, 2013, 09:07:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bushy palmer

A few years back there was a thread on here somewhere about writing your own book. As I recall, a few people said they would be interested in having a go but thought that perhaps their subject matter would be considered too niche for a mainstream publisher to take on as a viable money-making project (highlander I'm sure said he would like to write a book on clyde patterns??).
I myself have often thought about it but the thought of being rejected by publisher after publisher did not appeal to me in the slightest- who's going to want to read about some arsehole fifer fannying about in the hills eh?
Still, I really liked the idea of having a half-decent book that I could give away to friends and family as gifts.

Long story short- I went ahead and did it anyway and have just taken delivery of the first copy of my own book and I have to say it looks the muts nuts!!
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Pockets-full-stuff-Brian-Morrison/dp/149128160X/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1376506722&sr=1-1&keywords=pockets+full+of+stuff
[attachimg=1]
For anyone who is interested I will post later about how I managed it, but for now I have some reading to do.

bibio1

bibio1

Your right Alan it's a great read.

Harpo

I read some on Amazon as well, great stuff Brian.

bushy palmer

Thanks all, but before anyone gets carried away- it is no achievement at all- literally anyone can do it.

It's printed via a "print on demand" service meaning there's no book deal, no contract and no room full of books to be sold. Apart from my copy and a couple of poor bastards in America who have bought it without realising what it is- the book does not really exist anywhere in physical form. If someone buys it, it's printed instantly and shipped off.

I have no intention of promoting mine for sale- Only to give away to friends and family as an alternative to the usual shite they get at Christmas :D

Fishtales

Well done for taking the step to publish. These small on demand printings are becoming more and more popular with unknown writers. You might be surprised how well it will sell :) I liked what I read too.
Don't worry, be happy.
Sandy
Carried it in full, then carry it out empty.
http://www.ftscotland.co.uk/

Looking for a webhost? Try http://www.1and1.co.uk/?k_id=2966019

Wildfisher

Good for you Brian, I'll be buying a copy right away.  :D

Wildfisher

They must be quick at printing Brian, I just ordered a copy an the projected delivery date is  21 Aug 2013 - 23 Aug 2013.   :D

bushy palmer

Oh FFS don't go buying it!- I've no even finished reading my copy yet and I've already found mistakes :D

Wildfisher

Mistakes? Who cares?  Adds character!  :D

I admire folk who do things rather than just talk about them, their efforts should be supported. I'm really looking forward to seeing this, I had no idea it was possible to do it that way.

Go To Front Page