News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

My own book

Started by bushy palmer, August 14, 2013, 09:07:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Harpo

Quote from: bushy palmer on August 16, 2013, 12:00:07 AM
You're all mad!

You've just made it 6th in Amazon's best selling fishing books!

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/bestsellers/books/10193971/ref=pd_zg_hrsr_b_1_4_last

Call yourself a writer Brian, some has-been Ernest Hemingway is hogging the number 2 spot :lol:

bushy palmer

I should take a screen dump- it'll be back to a millionth by tomorrow :D

burnie

Firstly congratulations on your achievement and secondly, I've not had chance to clock it yet, off fishing now, have a look at Amazon later.

Wildfisher

Quote from: Alan on August 16, 2013, 01:29:19 AM
You need to get reviews on it, helps the purchase decision along :8)

Indeed. I'll be doing one on Amazon and The Wildfisher  :8)

Wildfisher

Quote from: Highlander on August 15, 2013, 07:44:58 PM
I am intrigued how you do this & yes as you said I always had a hankering to put pen to paper so to speak.

Go for it. Clyde patterns: do it before they are lost in a sea of deer hair and CDC. You are a superb fly tier, so the illustrations will be no problem.

On line stuff is fine, reaches a lot of folks, but is ephemeral.   Not as ephemeral as magazine articles, but not as permanent as a book. Books are still THE way.

Some of the best outdoor / fishing / Scottish related books I have were printed 100 years ago. Does anyone seriously  believe this will be the case with e-zines, forums and blogs? Most are drivel that vanish in a year or two.

Bob Wyatt told me that all of his great writing for magazines was no more than preparation  for his books.

bushy palmer

Quote from: Highlander on August 15, 2013, 07:44:58 PM
I am intrigued how you do this & yes as you said I always had a hankering to put pen to paper so to speak.

Fuck it!

I've spent an hour typing a responce to this and some arsehole cut through a cable outside

Wildfisher

Quote from: bushy palmer on August 16, 2013, 12:56:48 PM
I've spent an hour typing a responce to this and some arsehole cut through a cable outside

Aye, it seems there is no end to the lengths those envious of our community will go.   :lol:

Wildfisher

I have moved Brian's post on how to publish to its own  topic to save it being lost in this thread.

http://www.wildfisher.co.uk/smf/index.php?topic=21636.0

scoobyscott

Quote from: Caddisfan on August 16, 2013, 01:06:55 PM
That'll be John C. Walker, I bought the very first book from him which he signed ! I am good friends with John, so I will maybe suggest the "print on demand" format for future copies, though Somers still had some copies last time I was in.

Well done on writing your book and seeing it through, some achievement.

Lindsay
I was speaking to someone on the Don who mentioned this does he mostly fish dry spiders? I didn't catch the name of the book, is it worth a read. Sorry for going off topic Brian

River Chatter

Congratulations Brian!  I'll download a copy when I get a moment and look forward to reading it.  Your info on self publishing's useful too, because like many I've fancied having a go myself. Just need find a narrative style I'm happy with and can pull off convincingly.  Then there's the subject matter to wrestle with, my tendency to avoid doing anything constructive when there's fishing to be had, my lack of 'me' time due to demanding family members, a dog that needs walked, a house that needs decorated, an inability to achieve a creative mindset weekdays and weekends, a lack of...

Joking aside, your book's quite an achievement and it's success will spur you on to more ambitious literary challenges in the future I'm sure.   :D

Go To Front Page