News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

Looking for a copy of Angling on Lomond by Bill McEwan

Started by np01, February 23, 2009, 10:29:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

np01

Would anybody know where I might find a cheap copy of this? Tried amazon and ebay but nothing doing on either of these?

Also could anybody recommend any other books for learning more about fishing Lomond?

Thanks

Nick

Malcolm

Nick,

There are a couple of Lomond Fishers on here but Lomond is known for sea trout and salmon so you are probably more likely to get information from the Salmon Forum or from http://www.robbieredball.net/forum/forum/ (note there is a lot of nasty politics going on around the LLAIA which you will get sight of on this site. Steer well clear!) - there are a number of Loch Lomond lads on both of these.

The LLAIA also has a number of Loch fishermen in it's committee and an enquiry about the Loch fishing to web@lochlomondangling.com may get a good response. There was an article in the December(?) issue of T&S on Loch Lomond seatrout by Colin McCrory.

Are you a member of the Association?

Malcolm
There's nocht sae sober as a man blin drunk.
I maun hae goat an unco bellyfu'
To jaw like this

np01

No not a member and definitely no interest in getting involved in the politics. It was Colin McCrory's article in T&S that got me interested in trying for the sea trout this year. Love the idea of the history of the place but recognise that without some inside knowledge/help the chances of getting over fish are limited to say the least.

Went to the Scottish Ref Library and poured over a copy of the book - MAGIC! But need to really delve into it.

Living in Edinburgh makes it a 3-4 visit/yr sort of destination and therefore probably can't justify the expense of joining (?175 pa from memory?)

rabbitangler

garryh

this is a much sought after book,my father has a copy but Ive been keeping an eye out for one of my own.Ive only seen a couple on eBay in two years .both fetched over ?30.good luck in your search .

cheers Garry
Education is important.
But fishing is importanter

Fishtales

Don't worry, be happy.
Sandy
Carried it in full, then carry it out empty.
http://www.ftscotland.co.uk/

Looking for a webhost? Try http://www.1and1.co.uk/?k_id=2966019

np01

Quote from: rabbitangler on February 23, 2009, 06:56:43 PM
How much are you prepared to spend?

Had figured on just buying a day ticket at ?15 each time I went - so say ?45-60 although when you factor in the cost of a shared boat and engine its probably closer to ?30 each time. Still a good day out when compared to say Golf where ?30 buys you onto an indifferent course for 4 hours of self-flagellation

Might try making some enquiries of the guys at the link provided by Malcolm - although from what I understand there seems to be a lot of very tight lipped individuals (understandably!!) within the Lomond scene. However, don't ask...

The General

Very interesting links there Sandie, just spent half an hour on fone with wee mate checking out his books.  Going round to do the wee sod in tonight.

Davie

np01

Thanks Wee Bri.

I didn't have Ian wood's book title so will be onto that tomorrow.

If you did get the chance of a boat then that would be fantastic. To be honest, even if the boat and engine cost ?50 and the ticket's ?15, on a 50% share of the boat, the day's still costing ?40. Not perhaps an "every weekend" affair but certainly do-able a few times in the season.

As regards casting over fishless water - I reckon I could, without too much fear of challenge on this forum, suggest that I am something of an expert in this particular branch of the sport! And as I'm planning to spend more time this season on both Lochs Leven and Lomond, I'd reckon that by the end of the season I'd be in a fairly unassailable position as the 09 Blanks Champ. :lol:

Hope to perhaps meet up on Lomond for a day in 09

Thanks for all your info - as usual, brilliant!

Highlander

I might have some old fishing maps showing drifts & depths from my old days when I frequented the Big Loch. If I can find them you are more than welcolme to them.
Tight Lines
" The Future's Bright The Future's Wet Fly"

Nemo me impune lacessit

Go To Front Page