News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

Wild fly fishings "must reads"

Started by alba, April 12, 2018, 11:43:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

corsican dave

Quote from: burnie on June 15, 2018, 06:34:42 PM
All these posts, months gone by and no-ones mentioned Stan........................................... :crap
i don't think anyone ever has. which tells you everything you need to know....
If people don't occasionally walk away from you shaking their heads, you're probably doing something wrong - John Gierach

SoldierPmr

Paul Greenacre videos are something to watch too  :lol:

sagecirca

Quote from: Lochan_load on April 12, 2018, 09:03:51 PM
Somewhere else is a really good book. At the loch of the green Corrie is one I always recommend, it's about fishing and Norman McCaig and the assynt area. It's not strictly a fishing book but it struck a chord with me.

Just ordered this Andy.  £3 delivered  :8)

rannoch raider

Got to recommend this one folks, 'What Trout Want' by Bob Wyatt. Thought provoking to say the least. It might even change the way you approach your fly fishing. It has certainly given me lots of food for thought about what I'm tying and fishing.

Highlander

Fly Fishing.....J.R. Hartley, a true to be classic.
" The Future's Bright The Future's Wet Fly"

Nemo me impune lacessit

johnny boy

Welcome freinds to the Stan bashing forum.....

Sadly I am not a member. I am no advocate either, it's just sad that some can't help but take cheap shots.

I do believe that "the Loch fishers Bible" is an excellent starter read for anyone new to fishing wild hebridean lochs, some disagree, I believe its mostly to do with their feelings towards the author more than what is actually in the book.

So, no Sam lover, but not a Sam hater, sad to see some taking cheap shots.

YES, I would recommend this book and would suggest you read it and make your own conclusions (as you should do with any angles book).

OK, LET'S HAVE THE PELTERS.

Laxdale

And you have not mentioned his dark side. I have never met him, but have heard enough to know he is somewhat lacking in morals.

Billy

Quote from: Roobarb on July 31, 2019, 01:58:15 AM
I have ghillied for the cunt.

I nearly choked on my coffee this morning.
That was probably a better read than one of his books.

Billy

johnny boy

I too have ghillied for him, I thought the thread was about good books.

Falkus may have been an arse (he was certainly known for being difficult) , so would that disclude all his books?

Maybe the thread should have stated "good reads written by nice guys"

That would have clarified the whole thing.

Laxdale

Fair point.
I do not read angling books, as I am just as opinionated as the authors, but also prefer to work things out myself. But I could not resist posting about Headley.
One or two of his fly patterns are very good, I will give him that.
But he fell out with me once when, after he stuck up some pictures of new patterns, I said one of them was very good.
He went in a huge huff because I did not like them all.  :)

Go To Front Page