News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

Wild fly fishings "must reads"

Started by alba, April 12, 2018, 11:43:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ColinM

Lochan_load

Too many big words  :roll:  :lol:  I can see it's not for everyone it's a bit of a chin strokey, wanky read but I really enjoyed it  :gay4 It's where I got my tag line from ⬇️

keithfish

Come fishing with me ,peter stone .
Not fly fishing but a great read, unfortunately lost my copy moving house ,still upsets me thinking about it.

corsican dave

Quote from: keithfish on April 13, 2018, 04:32:32 PM
Come fishing with me ,peter stone .
Not fly fishing but a great read, unfortunately lost my copy moving house ,still upsets me thinking about it.
a bit off subject, but i should never have given away my copy of gravel pit angling by peter stone. superbly written. fishing in earnest by fred j taylor is in a similar vein
If people don't occasionally walk away from you shaking their heads, you're probably doing something wrong - John Gierach

corsican dave

gravel pit angling was SO good, i just went and bought another copy  :8)
If people don't occasionally walk away from you shaking their heads, you're probably doing something wrong - John Gierach

Part-time

Two books I enjoy, and I think I originally heard about them on here, are "Fisher in the Hills" by Robin Ade and "Fishing A Highland Stream" by John Inglis Hall. Another I like (which might be a local/self publication) is "Of Fish and Men - Tales of a Scottish Fisher", particularly as the author writes a lot about his fishing in Caithness & Sutherland.

I'd very much second some of the other suggestions; the "Pursuit of Stillwater Trout is a thought provoking book and, although much of the writing is about the authors experiences on reservoirs, you can apply what's written to pretty much any kind of fishing/fly fishing. "The Trout & The Fly" (Clarke & Goddard) and really captured my imagination when I first read first as a youngster; the underwater photos of flies, leaders and fly lines are worth getting the book for alone. It will also want to make you tie your dry flies upside down :)

You can't go wrong with Gierach, Rangeley-Wilson (..ain't got DEET, ain't got shit... :)) or the Bob Wyatt books.   

rannoch raider

I really enjoyed and was inspired by 'Angling on Lomond' by Bill McEwan a renowned Loch Lomond fisher. An informative read and well written in a lovely style. A must read for anyone who intends to fish 'The Lomond' and for those who want to know what we once had on our doorstep and are steadily losing bit by bit, year after year. :(

rannoch raider

More inspirational stuff, this time from Bill Currie in 'Days and nights of Game Fishing'. I must have read that book a dozen times when I was about 13 years old. It introduced me to one of Currie's favourite patterns the 'Dark Mackerel'. So taken with tales of this flies ability to charm fish, I fished it constantly and in the most inappropriate places at the most ridiculous times and so confident was I that this fly could not fail, it seldom did! I still fish it to this day!

Alastair

Big Indian Creek, by Dave Hughes. 

https://www.amazon.com/Big-Indian-Creek-Dave-Hughes/dp/0811702359

If you ever come across this book, it's worth picking up and having a read.  I live in Canada and we have many beautiful and secluded waters to fish, but this creek is one of my favourites to fish (it's in the US) and I've fished it at least a dozen times in the past 30 years.  The book is a journal of a fly fishing trip taken by the author.  I'm not a big fan of a certain aspect of his writing style, but reading the book takes me back to my trips to this particular piece of water.  Even though the book was written almost 25 years ago, I last fished it three years ago and the area is as unspoiled now as it was then.  There are no roads up this valley, just a hiking trail.  The only thing that could make this book better would be a few photos (and maybe fewer figures of speech).

I plan on making another pilgrimage there next year.

burnie

All these posts, months gone by and no-ones mentioned Stan........................................... :crap

Go To Front Page