News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

Lizard

Started by paulr, April 20, 2009, 06:15:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

burnie

Went hunting for Adders at Loch Lee weekend before last,no snakes but saw a lizard.I'm told there are slow worms up there but I've not seen one.

Dunbar

Fantastic! I never knew lizards were so common in Scotland. I'd heard that there was a population of sand lizards in the Pentland Hills. I've never seen any out here in East Lothian, but will be much more vigilant now that they appear to be fairly widely distributed. Are there any reptiles on the Western Isles, and in particular the Uists?

paulr

Hi Dunbar,
I believe the only reptile present in the Outer Hebrides is the slow worm.
There is an introduced colony of Sand Lizards on Coll.
cheers
Paul

harelug

Quotesand lizards in the Pentland Hills
I had to google that one! Didn't cone across anything conclusive. Wouldn't be surprised if someone had tried to introduce them to some of the Islands but I'm sure any lizards found in the Pentlands were  Common Lizards, wrong habitat.
There is no greater
  fan of fly fishing

Than the worm

tam

Quote from: TrueScot on April 23, 2009, 01:59:02 AM
Have a look about the old iron fencing Tam on Loch Thom they are normally more noticeable in warmer summer months and are a more a rusty colour.(maybe they eat the rusty fence lol)

Adders are also present not so far away though they have declined in number in recent years. 

thanks for info will do :8)

Fin

Seen a couple o common lizards, between Balintum and Kirkmicheal. A couple of weeks back while i was building a stone wall, they were basking on a cope stone.

I remember a few years ago while putting up a deer fence ( it was a dear fence for the owner o the big house as well), on the south shore of Loch Rannoch, i put my big size ten down and when i lifted it, what i thought was a very wriggly worm turned out to be the tail of a lizard. I think they shed their tail to distract  predetors, while they leg it. They will grow another tail.  :D :D

All the best Fin.

Go To Front Page