News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

Barn owls

Started by 3 weight, June 05, 2008, 03:01:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tomcatin

When it comes to owls, I think I can can count my blessing as I sometimes think I live in the Ochils Owl Centre ......... be it the routine Tawney Owls 'twit - ta - wooing' in the old sycamore, Short Eared Owls ghosting over the fields in twilight or Barn Owls screeching through the colder half of the year!

The closest encounter with a Barn Owl came in the late 80's in West Cumbria. We were in the process of clearing and demolishing a farm complex, when one of the plant operators asked me to have a look at a potential problem and suggested I brought a camera with me. The problem was located in a water tank, accessable only from a Safety Officer's ultimate nightmare ......... a 45 gallon drum perched atop of a few decade old straw bales. The risk of life and limb was worth it as contained inside were these two fellas:

[attachimg=1]

As I climbed down mother swooped in and perched on an inaccessible beam till we were well out of the way. Needless  to say the D8 Dozer was sent off to do other productive work; mother, father and fledglings were left unmolested till they had all flitted!
Sadly my 7' 5 weight that killed fascists is deceased!

So in respect and in memorium, PLEASE DONATE TO AND SUPPORT THE WILD FISHING FORUM

woodsmoke

Quote from: fishtales on June 05, 2008, 09:25:52 AM
The one and only time I have ever seen one was when fishing the Forth at Buchlyvie. I think a pair were nesting in one of the old barns. Beautiful birds.

I know exactly where you are...I saw them there 4 weeks ago while looking for adders to photograph on "the moss". Thats a cracking wee stretch of the Forth there, I'd love to find out where you can get permits for that, I'd gladly fly fish from my canoe there!

trout64

watched a pair at springwater

smackinnon

driving into work tonight 6:30 ( i know Friday nightshift) and just passing round the Raith
Roundabout (going towards East Kilbride) and one flew right across the dual carriagway
about 15ft above the ground...lovely sight
only dead fish go with the flow.

Go To Front Page