News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

Bird ID

Started by Ardbeg, July 14, 2008, 12:35:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ardbeg

I was fishing Loch Beannie today and spotted 2 fairly large raptors.  Both were black winged and grey bodied looking from underneath, that's about it I'm afraidI thought young hen harriers at first but the disription doesn't fit.

Ardbeg

Fishtales

Don't worry, be happy.
Sandy
Carried it in full, then carry it out empty.
http://www.ftscotland.co.uk/

Looking for a webhost? Try http://www.1and1.co.uk/?k_id=2966019

Harpo

I've no ideas Steve but did you see any of the fabled water birds, known as Trout?

Wildfisher

Quote from: Ardbeg on July 14, 2008, 10:41:55 PM
pretty much all the fish I caught were in the 1/4lb mark.  I turned a couple of bigger ones but no hookups.  Nothing worth keeping.  It was like the way the loch used to be around 20 years ago.  Loads of fish but all pretty small.

That seems to have been the pattern since last summer - except last summer they were struggling to reach 7 inches. Looks like a few good spawnings have turned it back into a bandy loch. No worries, leave it and it will change again. Loch of Storms has many more small fish now too. It's cyclical, nature will sort it out without us interfearing. It's a good thing in my view.

dseabass

what about a hoodie craw,    they are fairly big buggers , i know their not raptors but from a bit of a distance ????   

kisker

Was fishing rimsdale last week and saw a short eared owl hunting and also saw a hen harrier, that makes sense of the pair of raptors you saw. Bye the way the fishing was top class, 3lb 1oz biggest on a black nymph.

Pearly Invicta

That short-arsed owl (I'm a dedicated onithologist me) nearly knocked me down last time I was up there!

It flew straight at me then nailed a rodent in the grass behind my head. Fearless we thing. For a short-arse.

kisker

Quote from: Pearly Invicta on July 23, 2008, 08:48:21 PM
That short-arsed owl (I'm a dedicated onithologist me) nearly knocked me down last time I was up there!

It flew straight at me then nailed a rodent in the grass behind my head. Fearless we thing. For a short-arse.
Did you spot the osprey nest pearly ?

Pearly Invicta

No, I didn't. It was 2 years ago but we only saw the Lasgair hunting. Didn't see a nest.

Hold on- there's nae trees...where do they nest?

Go To Front Page