News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

Best Fly Box design for barbless hooks

Started by rannoch raider, June 29, 2017, 06:36:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rannoch raider

Nearly everything I am tying these days seems to be tiny and barbless. What's the best type of box to keep them nice and tidy?

scoobyscott

I mostly use the slim line fulling mill/ vision boxes with the slit foam and there fine for flies down to a 16. Any smaller I have a a different fm box that has magnet compartments. Think the boxes are about £6-7 each so not too bad.

Highlander

I can not see by these now.
http://caimore.co.uk/wp/index.php/product/1071/
Total copies of the C & F design but at less than half the price To that end every bit as well made. I have used them for a few years now & hold small flies well.
Tight Lines
" The Future's Bright The Future's Wet Fly"

Nemo me impune lacessit

Wildfisher

rannoch raider

Those do look ok. I have just been using the foam lined 'fox box' type. Cheap and cheerful and great for barbed hooks but I've noticed that the foam doesn't hold the fine barbless irons very well and they end up loose all over the box.

Robbie

The silicone fly boxes hold flies real well, but there nae cheap  :worried

rannoch raider

I'm not really averse to buying decent kit that works and lasts. I won't say price isn't an issue but I'd rather buy well than buy twice. The Caimore boxes look like decent boxes at a very good price. It appears everyone goes for the slotted foam. So I'll have a look at them.  :8)

alba

The Caimore one looks good .

I'm currently using these for my river flies

https://www.fishingmegastore.com/stillwater-clearview-flybox~4302.html

Pretty durable, waterproof and floats.

Bobfly

Slotted silicone "foam" is a lot more grippy and holds its shape far better than foam types. Anyone know if there is a source of pre-cut silicone sheets so that a rebuild can be done with existing boxes? I like my old Wheatley swing leaf double type boxes  :D :D
~  <°))))):><       ~   <°))))):><

Go To Front Page