News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

Unique flies

Started by Malcolm, January 30, 2008, 08:23:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Malcolm

Looking at the various posts on variant flies prompted the thought that it's very very difficult to come up with a unique style. Have any of you managed it? I'm not talking of putting a magenta body hackle on a black pennel or anything as straightforward as that, I mean something like the first suspender buzzer or the compara dun, say.

I thought I had once when I put a polystyrene ball on a one inch piece of nylon and tied it to the head of a buzzer so that the buzzer would float an inch under the surface. It works, sometimes very well but even that wasn't unique.

So any claimers?

Malcolm
There's nocht sae sober as a man blin drunk.
I maun hae goat an unco bellyfu'
To jaw like this

Highlander

I can't think of anything I have & I'll bet there are not too many that have. Still be nice to hear if there are.
Tight Lines
" The Future's Bright The Future's Wet Fly"

Nemo me impune lacessit

haresear

Not exactly a style, more of a hairstyle :D

I once came up with something I called a "sedgehog" (I know there is another one). Mine was a freeform mass of deer hair which I plastered in Mucilin and moulded to various shapes (like Brylcreem). You could make this fat, thin and somewhere in between.

I still do this (Brylcreeming) with shaggy palmers.

Alex
Protect the edge.

deergravy

Recent FF&FTs have featured patterns by an Italian guy, Agostino Roncallo, which are constructed entirely of one or two CDC feathers.
I don't see them starting a revolution or anything, but they're very clever, elegant flies and as innovative as anything I've seen lately.
I'm going to tie a few up and give them a go, they look like fun.

Dave

Allan Crawford

I read that article and the flies looked excellent, I'll like to try some.

Allan

Go To Front Page