News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

new to fly fishing

Started by inverbay, May 15, 2009, 10:47:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

inverbay

Anybody in the Tain Ross-shire area looking to take me under there wing and teach me how to fly fish work offshore 4 on 4 off willing to travel due home in June
Guys I'm due home in 2 weeks and needing some help I'm willing to travel for someone to teach me the basics what about a nice bottle off malt for the trouble

scottish-loch-lad

Come to Sutherland when your back anytime between 29th June- 5th july and i will help you out.

What a great place to learn as well !

inverbay

Chris,

Thanks for that was planning to come up to that trip might be a problem with the dates as it stands just noo I'm due home on the 10Th June for 4 weeks my rig is going to be moving from the Gulf of Mexico to Africa so might have to go back early if not ill be there

Bruce Sandison mentioned that trip to me so what I'm thinking is go for the half day course so i can get the basics and start fishing properly ASAP then i thinking ?90 for a half is it worth it or do i put that money towards some decent gear?

scottish-loch-lad

William?

Casting lessons you mean? A casting course?

I think there is real value to be had from learning to cast and having a qualified instructor give you avice on your casting. I am doing it myself just now.

At what point it should be done? open to debate really. They would say its like driving and to avoid bad habits get the right advice from the start.

Or yoou could say "why pay money now when you dont really understand it when you can wait till you do and absorb it easier?"

Has to be your choice.

I started going to fisheries, walking around, talking to people, asking for advice, whats that, whats this, why do that. You can pick up the basics and get the line out then once your comfortable doing that........tidy it up.

90quid is a decent fly rod  !!!!! or a good line to give you confidence with change for loads of flies and nylon, suntan lotion and some fags! :P

inverbay

Chris

Cheers for that think ill go for the course half day learn the basics so i can get out asap was thinking about putting the money towards a decent set of waders and jacket

bought a few rods the last time i was home so sorted in that department just need to learn how to use them want to head up to Sutherland for that trip with half a chance

I only stay 5 minutes away from loch eye every time i drive past it does my head desperate to get out there

Willie

scottish-loch-lad

Willie,

Maybe its worth doing then to give you more confidence from the off. You will always get advice and skill building practise out on the water.

inverbay

Chris,

Ive booked it 4 and half hours so cant wait to get home also shouldn't be to much off a pain in the arse when i see ya up in Sutherland

Thanks for all the advice Chris

Looking fwd to get a few tips off you aswell

Willie 

inverbay

Big thanks to chris again for his sound advice I think its all about getting the right advice from the very start
its not all about paying the money for the lesons its will i learn anything so here is hoping that im going to start bumping into all you guys so i can pick ur branes

inverbay

Quote from: inverbay on June 04, 2009, 02:17:30 AM
Big thanks to chris again for his sound advice I think its all about getting the right advice from the very start
its not all about paying the money for the lesons its will i learn anything so here is hoping that im going to start bumping into all you guys

People who take the time to help others in my book go a long way

inverbay

Hi Guys

5 days till I'm home and wanting to start buying some flys what do i go for I'm looking to fishing mainly lochs so does it depend on the loch or can i just buy a variety

All suggestion would be greatly appreciated

Willie

Go To Front Page