News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

Calling the Pike Dudes!

Started by scotty9, February 01, 2011, 06:45:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Andrew Moray

Hello Scott,

I fish mainly for river mouth pike, so only need a floater and a sinktip.
Note though, if you intend using a #6 rod, whatever CCS says, access to certain waters and/or PFFA events will prove tricky.

Tony

3 weight

Haha fair enough scott! Give me a shout when your back and we'll get a pike trip organised seen as we never managed to get out last year.

scotty9

Tony - thanks for that info. Events for me is not really an issue, not my thing to be honest.

Scott - definitely, its looking like July so will definitely give you a shout, pike on the surface sounds so dam appealing!

3 weight

It can be heartstopping stuff, usually you see a big wave appearing behind your fly then an explosion of water and jaggy teeth, canny beat it!

corsican dave

8 seems to be a good compromise for me. i use a cortland floater with a 15' intermediate tip ("ghost tip"). works well for the salt too.
If people don't occasionally walk away from you shaking their heads, you're probably doing something wrong - John Gierach

aliferste

Quote from: 3 weight on February 04, 2011, 03:22:39 PM
It can be heartstopping stuff, usually you see a big wave appearing behind your fly then an explosion of water and jaggy teeth, canny beat it!

Could I join this little trip?

3 weight

Of course Alistair, its about time we got out after the pike, we've only spoke about it for the last 3 years or so  :lol:

aliferste

Allan Crawford

I've tried a few (many) combinations of rod and line for pike fly fishing over the years. Currently using a 9ft 10 weight, with a slowish action which is my best setup so far. (apart from my 15ft LPXe and Skagit line but thats another post)
What I would say is if you dont have a decent rod / line setup suitable for throwning large flies it takes all the joy out of pike fly fishing and could put you off before you get started. Once you catch a few fish especially a good double you'll be hooked and it can be as exciting as fly fishing gets, well worth the cost of another outfit. My best double last season a fish about 14lb was probably more exciting than the 3 salmon I had last year!

corsican dave

Quote from: Colliemore on April 12, 2011, 08:36:56 PM
My best double last season a fish about 14lb was probably more exciting than the 3 salmon I had last year!

and as the proud captor of only one salmon i can say that's pretty damned exciting!
If people don't occasionally walk away from you shaking their heads, you're probably doing something wrong - John Gierach

Go To Front Page