News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

pike help

Started by tecno trout, October 30, 2012, 12:16:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tecno trout

im usualy a trout fisher but as the seasons closed i need something to do
so would like some advice please

i dont have bite alarms and rely on setting my rod up against something and watching for movement on the rod tip after ive cast the bait out and tightened the line
will i miss bites using this method ?

also can anyone advise me on the best method to keep your bait tied on to your trebles and trace as i have problems with bait flying off after its thawed out

also does injecting your bait with oils really make much difference ?

and finally what is the best bait to use when fishing big waters?

any help be much apreciated

Inchlaggan

Quote from: tecno trout on October 30, 2012, 12:16:06 PM
im usualy a trout fisher but as the seasons closed i need something to do
so would like some advice please

i dont have bite alarms and rely on setting my rod up against something and watching for movement on the rod tip after ive cast the bait out and tightened the line
will i miss bites using this method ?

also can anyone advise me on the best method to keep your bait tied on to your trebles and trace as i have problems with bait flying off after its thawed out

also does injecting your bait with oils really make much difference ?

and finally what is the best bait to use when fishing big waters?

any help be much apreciated

1 Depends on the terminal tackle rig you are using, but generally yes.
2 Bait Elastic, wrapped around bait and hook-
http://www.gooutdoors.co.uk/none-1-pack-200m-elastic-bait-fishing-sea-accessory-p103383?gclid=COr-rLzQqLMCFUbKtAodJicAxw
3 Never tried it.
4 Mackerel
'til a voice as bad as conscience,
rang interminable changes,
on an everlasting whisper,
day and night repeated so-
"Something hidden, go and find it,
Go and look beyond the ranges,
Something lost beyond the ranges,
Lost and waiting for you,
Go."

haresear

I would urge you to use rod rests at least. It lets you dip the rod tip subsurface and tighten up effectively. It also gives you something to attach a bite indicator to.
If fishing without a float, you will definitely deep hook fish if you do not use a bite indicator of some sort. Pike can move toward you and watching a rod tip will not register a bite in that case.

Bite indicators don't need to complicated. We used to make our own electric alarms using door buzzers and mercury switches, but a simple drop off indicator will do the job just as well, as long as you watch it. Here are some commercially made versions, but you can do the same thing with a clothes peg, a length of cord, two map pins and a bottle cork...  http://www.tmctackle.co.uk/CategoryMenu.asp?category_id=14

Baits -  most work to a degree. We caught well on baits from sardines to smelt, roach, trout,eel section. I don't recall any outright failures. I never noticed any difference in catches when we injected pilchard oil.

Alex
Protect the edge.

tecno trout

thanks for the advice guys , think i'll go with the float just now till i can rig up some kind of bite alarm , i dont fancy doing surgery on a pike

cheers  :)

Inchlaggan

'til a voice as bad as conscience,
rang interminable changes,
on an everlasting whisper,
day and night repeated so-
"Something hidden, go and find it,
Go and look beyond the ranges,
Something lost beyond the ranges,
Lost and waiting for you,
Go."

fergie

If you don't have indicators a handy bit of tackle is a Polaris Float it looks like a normal pike pencil float cast it out with your bait the bait will sink to the bottom with the line running freely through the wee gizmo on the bottom of the float.Now the clever bit when you tighten the line up the float locks onto the line. Giving pretty good bit indication it will also show you how deep your fishing as when you reel in the float stays locked.Once it hits the top eye the line travels freely through it again.Argos used to do pretty good rod rests ive had mine for years they make life so much easier. Good long forceps and wire cutters are a must. A unhooking mat/weighsling too. I used to add oils to my baits but it was more to releave the boredom .You really need to stay on the ball with deadbaiting a pike will swallow a bait in no time. I much prefer lure fishing for pike now you can travel light no real deep hooking worries and you can catch the on lures in cold weather.

Allan Crawford

I like the float set up that Fachan suggests, by adjusting the stop knot I can fish with the bait high in the water or on the bottom and very good bite detection, though you have to be watching it all the time and for this reason I wouldnt recommend fishing with out alarms that go beep. Plenty of really cheap alarms out there that work perfectly well with some bank sticks. Non electronic drop back arms are also useful which can be rigged using empty bubble floats and paper clips. I also use coloured line so I can see it pulling of the reel easier.

Unhooking gear is essential, try to handle pike on wet grass or an unhooking mat which could be an old sleep mat. Carry two pairs of forceps, useful when getting two treble hooks out or if you lose a set. Good idea to go with some one who knows how to unhook pike, the first twenty makes you think twice but these can be easier then wee ones, get the big ones back alive.

Dont tend to use oils cause I'm too lazy, use other ideas to put smell in the water such as catapults, bottom feeders with canned sardines, freeze up spare fish bits with a piece of nylon to tie onto and cast out, stab bait with knife helps too.

I usually only use trout and mackeral for bait, trout never come off, mackeral if hooked through the bone near the tail dont come off either and can be cast far. If using softer baits I just cast gently, never bother with anything to hold bait on.

Plenty of cheap pike gear that does a good enough .

tecno trout

QuoteA very small cable tie at the tail can work wonders 

thats a good shout fachan , trying to tie up fish with cold hands could be pretty fiddly

i caught a lot of pike on a loch i used to fish in angus about 20 years ago , it was a pretty simple affair of just chucking a lure out , we never ever used bait though ,

anyway ive got some gear now to make my own traces , a few floats and some small cable ties so hopefully next few days i'll be hauling them out  :)

cheers again for all the advice

Highlander

Only thing I might add is bait.

I like Herring but Pike in the mood will pick up most thing fishy.
Tight Lines
" The Future's Bright The Future's Wet Fly"

Nemo me impune lacessit

Go To Front Page