News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

Making life easier for yourself

Started by haresear, May 15, 2007, 12:29:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

haresear

You might have to work a bit harder on those brownie points Norm. I got mine in Christchurch, New Zealand :D

I'm sure I saw some in Glasgow Angling Centre, and I remember thinking they weren't too expensive. May be worth looking at their website.

Alex
Protect the edge.

haresear

QuoteI was admiring your net on the Don trip Alex,

Thank god for that. I thought you were looking at my bum. :shock:

Alex
Protect the edge.

harelug

QuoteI've been on the look out for a Salmon sized wooden scoop net - for Salmon Funnily enough.  Where did you get yours?

Norm

Alex's salmon net ain't that big, despite the size of NZ salmon, more what I'd call an adequate trout size, unlike most you see in the shops here. You could try making your own, thats what I did. First attempt, trout size turned out a bit on the narrow side, looked fine until I fitted the mesh, then it "shrank". Second attempt was a salmon net, much better proportioned and so far it's handled fish to 12.5 lbs.
I had planned to post a couple of photos, and also an article on net making I prepared a couple of years ago for one of the mags. Unfortunately I was led astray by Haresear earlier this evening, coupled with a bottle of wine with dinner, I fell asleep. I'll try and post photos and article, if I can find it tomorrow night.

John
There is no greater
  fan of fly fishing

Than the worm

haresear

QuoteUnfortunately I was led astray by Haresear earlier this evening, coupled with a bottle of wine with dinner, I fell asleep. I'll try and post photos and article, if I can find it tomorrow night

Aye, it'll be my fault. Most things are, apparently :(

Norm,

Are you looking for a big scoop net or a long-handled job?

Alex 
Protect the edge.

Clan Ford

Big scoop net, just like a trout one but bigger.  Most of my slamon fishing is done from the water and I tend to tail them with my hand but seems this might damage the fish (most go back) so I though a bogger version of a trout net might be an idea.  They are light and sit out the way.  I hate carring the usual big nets for Salmon.

Working in the techy department of the school it might be quite possible for me to whip up a net, look forward to your article harelug.

Norm

harelug

Norm

You don't need to work in the Techy deptment, I managed to knock mine up at home with a few basic tools. I'll try and sort out a couple of photos and the article this evening.

John
There is no greater
  fan of fly fishing

Than the worm

harelug

I've posted the net making article on a new thread in Hints and Tips.

John
There is no greater
  fan of fly fishing

Than the worm

Go To Front Page