News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

Need A Cure

Started by superscot, February 18, 2008, 12:26:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

superscot

Gents one for the Auld Sea dogs that lurk about the forum!!! Suffer really badly from motion sickness and have no

problem on the fresh water lochs even in a heavy swell ....But sit ma erse Doon in the boat on salt water ...sick as a dug as they say.

Not that I do a lot of sea fishing ...but have 4 trips looming this summer on our Alaska trip and really want to know if there a guaranteed cure for the above!!!

I know exactly when it?s coming on hot sweaty neck!! And totally destroys me !

Sure one of the auld sea dogs will have the readymade cure!!

Cheers

Oh and I stick ti nay drink the night before and nay greasy breakfast before the trips !

Clan Ford

I spent 11 years at sea, used to get a bit "queezy" now and then.  Only cure I found, that worked, was the sea getting calmer! 

Norm

superscot

QuoteI spent 11 years at sea, used to get a bit "queezy" now and then.

And i thought it was only me !!!!

Norm it's even worse when its calm !!!!  :lol: :lol: :lol:

zeolite

Ginger pills work apparantly. Was on Mythbusters.
Schrodinger's troots pictured above.

just_steven

I'm certainly not an old sea dog, but I worked on a creel boat for a summer and struggled with the spewing on a regular basis.
Chopping up 3 day old conger eel for bait certainly didn't help. It's making me want to heave just thinking about it!  :sick;
I never found a cure for it, but in the last 2 weeks I just seemed to stop being/feeling sick, even on the roughest days. You must just get used to it.
I've been told by a few folk that eating gingersnap biscuits are supposed to stop you feeling/being sick, so I would imagine the ginger pills would probably help.
Watching the horizon certainly helps and lying down certainly doesn't!
My best tip would be to have bananas for your breakfast and avoid orange juice.
Bananas don't hurt or leave a bad taste when you throw them back up, but orange juice is vile!

Cheers

Steve

The General

Go see your doctor.  Nothing worse than seasickness except more seasickness.  Ginger is good for nausea or supposed to be.
Get anti nausea pills from the doc.   Did anyone ever see Dick Emery's sketch on seasickness, it was one of the funniest things
I have seen, only because I know the effects of seasickness :sick;  

Davie

alancrob

Went on a whale watching trip from Boston a few years ago. 2/3rds of the passengers were hanging over the side in the 1st 20 minutes.........and we were still within the harbour walls!
No problem, as soon as we passed the harbour walls the bar was open and breakfast was served, and there wasn't a queue!  Never had a problem but never been out on really rough seas for any length of time.
My big problem, and it gets worse with age for some reason, is heights.   :freeked  :vom14;

superscot

Looks like the Doc for me before i go !

sandyborthwick

First piece of advice is if its looking rough to start with don't go - it will just mean you don't enjoy the day. If the conditions look OK I'd start by not having any breakfast - a nice cup of tea/coffee black is best.(some reckon you should have something to get rid of - what a lot of rubbish :()
Try ginger pills if you feel they might help - otherwise go for the usual seasickness ones available from the pharmacy/doctor.
The most important things if you are prone to this - is one always keep in the fresh air(away from engine fumes or enclosed warm spaces) cold and fresh breeze are real helps. Also as previously mentioned keep the horizon in view and stay upright. Keep busy - catching fish it is an excellent antidote. If you start to get warm and sweaty loosen of the clothing and get a good breeze blowing through you(get yourself feeling fresh) - I guarantee this will ease the symptoms.
Avoid at all cost heavy alcohol sessions the night before - its always regretted the following day and a good nights sleep so that you are really fresh in the morning also seems to work.
Take some fresh water so that you can rinse your mouth and throat out also taking some fluids if needed.
Apart from this lot catch a monster - you won't be worried about the Seasickness at all then and it will all have been worth it. :)

Sandy B.O.

Harpo

My wife swears by Crystalised Ginger to combat all Travelling sickness including boats, also Bachs Rescue Remedy but you might feel a bit  :gay4 taking drops of that every few minutes.

One of my mates found the perfect cure on a very rough ferry trip back from Amsterdam, although I'm not sure the bakeries in Scotland sell the same sort of cakes :shock:

Go To Front Page