News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

Newcomer to fly tying

Started by flyboy, May 08, 2014, 09:27:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

flyboy

I have began to tie some flys. I have not been following many patterns as I have really just been experimenting and trying to develop the techniques of dubbing, whip finishing etc so please be gentle on the patterns, some are attempted copies and others are not. I have tied around thirty flies over the past two weeks and these look the best, any thoughts?
Brian

scoobyscott

Just stick at it. The top row of the last pic look good. To start with keep it simple though. Start with a few spiders with thread or dubbed bodies and a hackle. Get a feel for winding touching turns of thread and gauging hackle size. Then add a tail using barbs of a feather not the tip of the feather like the top pics. Then maybe add a wing and so on. Continually developing new techniques when you can produce consistent patterns. Once you master the half dozen or so basic techniques you will be able to tie anything. Its all just practice and then some more practice.
p.s. be warned it will cost you a fortune :o;D

Highlander

Your trying to run before you can walk. Start with simple patterns & work up accordingly.
Tight Lines
" The Future's Bright The Future's Wet Fly"

Nemo me impune lacessit

flyboy

I will keep tying. I am at the stage where highlander is correct, I am trying to tie flies beyond my ability and skill level at the moment however I tend to get a bit overexcited when entering a new hobby/dimension to fishing. I will post more pics next week with some more efforts at basic patterns as has been suggested.
Brian.

Go To Front Page