News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

Crank-induced trout hiatus

Started by Midgie Hater, May 15, 2014, 02:26:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Midgie Hater

As some forumites might know from reading my very few reports (sorry to open-boarders who can't see them) I cycle several miles to visit my local river. Witness my horror the other day on discovering that my crank started to wobble and is coming loose, thus rendering my bike unrideable until it's fixed. I don't drive so I don't own a socket set and torque wrench to tighten the crank bolt, and even if I can do this, it's possible that, although this problem came on suddenly after a quick pedal to Dollar the other evening (one day it was fine the next day it wasn't), the problem may not be fixable using that method. My only other option is the local bus service, but the last bus leaves the area I generally fish at 9.30pm (actually a couple of miles from where I usually fish) which at this time of year means leaving before the potential evening rise fun starts. I fear that the last few weeks of my final trout season in Scotland may be screwed as a result. Poor old Thor is knackered and I'm utterly fed up.

Just wanted to share.

Cheers, Les

Wildfisher

loch coulter

go to the bike recycle shop in stirling, its down the riverside and they probably could repair it cheaply or you could buy a second hand refurbished one very cheap, i bought one a few years ago and it was a bargain. Not sure but they maybe have a place in Alloa?

Tommy.

Midgie Hater

Thing about a potentially knackered crank is two-fold: getting a suitable replacement - or rather replacements - which fits, and the potential cost. Aye mate, the Recyke-a-Bike place in Stirling is quite good, but I've contacted them before about spares and repairs in the past and they weren't very helpful. I used to think they had an outlet in Alloa too but apparently not. Yes, cranks are tricky things when this happens. If I can get the bolt tightened it might be ok, but since the alloy of the crank is much softer than the axle and spline what tends to happen when they work loose is they get ground and/or the thread is spoiled.

Since it's an older bike I wasn't having it shipped to the States, as my wife says there's a local police auction where you can pick up very nice ones for silly money, so in some ways it's hardly worth spending anything other than a few quid getting it sorted - if it can be sorted. There's a temp. fix for a worn crank that you can do with Loctite, but it's a once-only fix and if it happens again after that the thing is permanently screwed and would probably require a new bottom bracket too, so I'm still ruminating on this one.

Wildfisher

A push bike in the States?  Isn't it only anti-American commie barstewards who ride bikes there?  Play safe,, get yourself a Cadillac  :lol:

Midgie Hater

:lol:  Hmmm, maybe a good ol' pick-up instead.

Noddy

My brother bid for a bike at a police auction.  He had the winning bid at a low price, went to collect his bike and then found that the lot was actually three bikes!!!

Jim

Noddy

The only one I know of is Wilson's in Dalry (Ayrshire), maybe a bit too far away from you. 

http://www.wilsonsauctions.com/liquidation-disposals-search-results/689

Jim

sinbad

Had a few bikes from Wilson's from as cheap as £4 for a ride away mountain bike. My current one was £22 and Ive been using it for 3 years now. There is usually 100s of bikes available  :)

Highlander

There is an auction at Wilsons of Dalry in June. Certainly the place to go if you want a bike cheap. I am going to the next one but to see what fishing tackle is there.
Check with their website for details.
Police Lost Property details
http://auctiondirectory.org/Strathclyde-Police-Lost-Property-Auctions.html

Tight Lines

PS Disregard out of date link........see Wilsons link below  :roll:
" The Future's Bright The Future's Wet Fly"

Nemo me impune lacessit

Go To Front Page