News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

What have you tied today?

Started by Clan Chief, October 25, 2008, 08:04:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lochan_load

Right I usually shy away from paired wings because I struggle with them but I've decided to grasp the nettle and try and get somewhere with them, iv started with the kingfisher butcher, it's come out ok for a first attempt. I usually varnish a tinsel body because it makes it tough and the tinsel won't burst when a fish chews on it, I decided not to this morning for quickness and the copper rib has slipped  :x lesson learned!
[attachimg=1]

SoldierPmr

Cracking fly and the king fisher butcher has always been on of my favourite wet flies (not that I ever catch on it) but I think it's one of the most eye catching flys.

a slip of mallard blue has slipped down to the tail on the photo.

bibio1

You've picked one  of the hardest to start with. Try turning the wing upside down and rib much closer.....maybe 5 or 6 turns.

It's a beautiful fly.

corsican dave

as you might have seen, I caught a couple of pike on a very nicely done commercial fry pattern the other day. but, let's face it; it was a bit naff, wasn't it? I mean, what self-respecting mutha of a pike would risk itself for that tiny little morsel? now, spinning hair like that is definitely an art form, but I reckoned with a bit of ingenuity and some marker pens I stood half a chance.... £4 worth of fox tail and a pile of trimmings later here's a 5/0 version:
[attachimg=1][attachimg=2]

next time i'll add the fins in as I go and get some bigger eyes. but first i'll save up for some more hair!! :8)
If people don't occasionally walk away from you shaking their heads, you're probably doing something wrong - John Gierach

paulr

Lochan_load

Nicely done! That's bigger than a lot of fish I catch Dave  :roll:
Appropriate you should be posting cos I've done a fly that you might approve of! It's only a size 8 long (that's massive for me!) but it's ugly as sin and got rubber legs, bit like Fred's rubber legged sedgehog from last week but BIGGER, think it's called a sedgezilla.
[attachimg=1]

Lochan_load

And from underneath
[attachimg=1]

corsican dave

proper sort of a flea that, Andy  :D I can imagine some lunker carp chasing that  :8)
If people don't occasionally walk away from you shaking their heads, you're probably doing something wrong - John Gierach

rannoch raider

Nice pair of perchy fellows there Dave. I could see them killing pike and trout on somewhere like Mentieth around this time of year. Hold on tight! :lol:

rannoch raider

Your rubber legged sedgezilla has a real interesting 'footprint' Andy. It would be good as a grasshopper in a pale green / brown ? You can bet it will bring them up for a look at the very least. I've just taken delivery of a bag of materials for the winter tying. One of them is olive centipede rubber legs ! I fancy a red arsed green peter rubber leg hog !

Go To Front Page