News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

beware the Scotts unconditional warranty

Started by garryh, July 26, 2015, 02:27:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

garryh

i recently broke the second section of my four piece Scott A3 rod .when i bought this rod from a UK supplier i posted off the registration card for my unconditional warranty.but after contacting Scott about a repair i was informed that rods with a serial number less than 350000 were not covered .but i bought a rod with a warranty and sent it off in good faith i argue .that's our policy its on the web site says the reply .apparently they have the right to amend the terms somewhere in the small print .i couldn't find it .bottom line is they would be able to repair it but at a cost of $70 dollars per section and $20 for each whipping that is required. having checked the postage with insurance to the US i began to wonder if it was worth it .so i checked with Scott how much the return postage was liable to be .their reply was give us your credit card details and we will charge it at cost when we post it back . that is their policy it's on the website .i ain't giving what amounts to a blank cheque to any one so if any of you out there have a Scott or are thinking of getting one beware ,or just don't bank on them honouring the warranty .

Garry
Education is important.
But fishing is importanter

shad

Thats terrible, I always thought they had good customer service.My mate broke his S3S and was sent a whole new rod last year, but that would have been an older model.

I think all the companies are going this way, the unconditional warranty is totally unsustainable in the long term.

garryh

my rod is a mid-range rod ,hence the reluctance to pay for a repair ,  i will just have to write it off and get myself a new rod. I still think Scott rods are great ,but i dont think i will bother with another .

Garry
Education is important.

Fishtales

Trading Standards or Citizens Advice should be your first stop, they should be able to advise you on what steps to take.
Don't worry, be happy.
Sandy
Carried it in full, then carry it out empty.
http://www.ftscotland.co.uk/

Looking for a webhost? Try http://www.1and1.co.uk/?k_id=2966019

aliferste

I wrote a piece on urbanflyfisher about Greys a while back.

Sitting on the train my phone rings, unknown number. I am free and easy with my number so I pick up.

"Is that Alistair?" said a very polite voice.

"Yes"

"I got your number from a pal, I wanted to tell you something"

"Yes?"

"Greys warranty still sucks" he said and then hung up!

True story.

garryh

to be honest ,having to send the rod back to the USA insured and having to pay return postage plus their handling charge makes it an expensive fix even if i could get them to accept that i have a valid warranty.on top of that ,wanting my credit card details so they can charge me when the rod is ready just aint going to happen . they are not answering my emails anymore so i am just sick of the whole episode . at least with Orvis and Sage any warranty returns are dealt with in the UK so it will be one of those two or buy British.

Garry
Education is important.

Wildfisher

I just checked the s/n on my Scott S4. It won't be covered either, but I bought it 2nd hand, so it's not such a big deal.

superscot

What about your home insurance ! Could this not cover the costs

bibio1

To be honest I think all the warranties are a joke. They can't possibly honour the commitments they make.

garryh

if rod manufacturers were to do away with unconditional warranties ,then all their prices should fall significantly as they have obviously factored in the cost of replacements to the current prices. i reckon they will eventually do away with them ,but dont hold your breath waiting for prices to drop.

Garry
Education is important.

Go To Front Page