News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

beware the Scotts unconditional warranty

Started by garryh, July 26, 2015, 02:27:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bibio1

The should drop but most of the price of a.rod is the proportion of the marketing budget attributed to it. The unit price for most rods is less than £50.

Some of the big manufacturers use the same mandrels for golf club shafts. Just goes to show you the technology that isn't in rod manufacturing.

Wildfisher

Buying high end rods second hand is the way. Half the price or less and you don't get a warranty either way. 

I recently bought a mint #4 9 foot Sage Z Axis. £280.  You just have to keep your eyes and ears open and don't get tempted to pay silly money.

haresear

I too broke a Scott rod a couple of years ago - an S4. Like Garry I decided it would cost me more than I was prepared to pay to replace it, especially as I have several 9' #5 rods I can use instead and I usually use a # in preference anyway.

I agree on the buying secondhand v new thing. I also agree that Sage's policy of settling the claims in the UK is far better.

I have broken two Sages. The first time I took the rod back to the shop where I bought it and received a new rod. The shop (Glasgow Angling Centre) took my old rod to deal with the warranty claim themselves.

The second Sage I think was different. I needed a replacement section pronto as I was heading to Canada or NZ to fish in a few weeks time. I got a phone number for the UK distributor and explained my predicament which was a tricky one seeing as the XP series had been discontinued. The guy simply asked me for the registration number on the blank and posted me out one of the spare sections they still had in stock. I didn't even need the warranty card.

I still have a #4 Scott S4 which I haven't yet broken :) I won't be replacing it with a Scott. :8)

Alex

Protect the edge.

Squigster

Legally speaking, when you bought the rod the sale transaction was between you and the UK distributor. Third party contracts ie between you and Scott are unenforceable, and thus they can change their warranties to to suit themselves

Wildfisher

I think you are right Stephen. It also does not help that Scott don't seem to have UK agents now. A few years ago Joe had to send to the US for an S4 because he could not buy one here.

I think the lesson from all of this is do not buy Scott rods.  Pity really, they are good rods.

haresear

Incidentally the contact for Sage in the UK is (or certainly used to be) Gary Coxon Tel.01606 882891. That is the man who sorted me out with a spare tip section.

Alex
Protect the edge.

garryh

read somewhere that its no longer Garry Coxon ,Guideline have taken over responsability for Sage warranties. always heard good things about dealing with G .Coxon . have not heard how Guideline are shaping up.

Garry
Education is important.
But fishing is importanter

corsican dave

Quote from: garryh on July 27, 2015, 08:43:18 PM
read somewhere that its no longer Garry Coxon ,Guideline have taken over responsability for Sage warranties. always heard good things about dealing with G .Coxon . have not heard how Guideline are shaping up.

Garry
it's Guide Flyfishing for Sage, who are excellent; one of the best distributors I've come across; right up there with the best companies in the outdoor industry. fortunately NOT Guideline, who are absolutely awful.....
If people don't occasionally walk away from you shaking their heads, you're probably doing something wrong - John Gierach

Highlander

GAC I note sell Scott rods. Does that make them the UK dealer? I do not see anyone else who does. Just wondering.

Tight Lines
" The Future's Bright The Future's Wet Fly"

Nemo me impune lacessit

haresear

QuoteGAC I note sell Scott rods. Does that make them the UK dealer? I do not see anyone else who does. Just wondering.

Could be. I can't remember where I bought mine. Wherever it was they were doing good business by selling them for the same price as they were going for in the States, which made a refreshing change. It may have been Farlows or Foxon's, or neither :?

Quoteit's Guide Flyfishing for Sage, who are excellent

That's good news :D  Hopefully I won't need another rod, but it is good to know nevertheless.

Alex
Protect the edge.

Go To Front Page