News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

Aberdeensire speak..

Started by Sandison, November 28, 2008, 07:28:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sandison

One of my favourite poems..

GIN I WAS GOD

Gin I was God, sittin' up there abeen,
Weariet nae doot noo a' my darg was deen,
Deaved wi' the harps an' hymns oonendin' ringin',
Tired o' the flockin' angels hairse wi' singin',
To some clood-edge I'd daunder furth an', feth,
Look ower an' watch hoo things were gyaun aneth.
Syne, gin I saw hoo men I'd made mysel'
Had startit in to pooshan, sheet an' fell,
To reive an' rape, an' fairly mak' a hell
O' my brave birlin' Earth, - a hale week's wark -

I'd cast my coat again, rove up my sark,
                An', or they'd time to lench a second ark,
                Tak' bak my word an? sen' anither spate,
                Droon oot the hale hypothec, dicht the sklate,
                Own my mistak', an' aince I'd cleared the brod,
                Start a'thing over again, gin I was God.

CHARLES MURRAY (1984-1941)
Murray was a native of Aberdeen who spent most of his life in the Transvaal. His work was very popular at one time, particularly his masterly character-sketches such as the one given here. His Scots is consistent dialect, but his range too constricted and local for him to rank as a national poet. He is the best of the dialect poets, before MacDiarmid restored Scots to its national and international stature.
Bruce Sandison

Pearly Invicta

I'd rither be no affy weel than affy no weel.

Wildfisher

Quote from: crocach on November 28, 2008, 08:38:25 PM
Doric is probably the most alive Scots variant there is.

It's certainly alive and well out here. But language is dynamic, always has been always will be. I have to say dialect change it's not something I get especially excited about it's  inevitable when people no longer live in isolation and the benefits of a cosmopolitan, more outward looking  society  outway the disadvantages in my opinion.

Pearly Invicta

I met a pair of fishermen in Mallaig once who (like their fathers before them)fished out of Mallaig on the west coast and Fraserburgh on the east, using the caledonian canal to travel between the ports
On the west coast they spoke gaelic and on the east, broad doric. They hardly had a word of english between them.

Malcolm

Just for a bit of fun here is Frank Sawyers (from Keeper of the Stream) rendering of Wiltshire at it's best; it's a good deal easier reading it than it is to understand the spoken word.

"thay medders wir tinded thin, in us used ta cut thay withy pollards an thay ashes fir vaggots, spars en vincin poasts. None on em wir lowed ta git like thay be now. All thay withy bids wir planted zince I kin mind, en us used ta keep em cut. Zum on em wir used ta mik idges tha kip in tha ship en tha lambs. Thin thir be thay alder bids. I elped plant zum a thay - varmer wir gwine ta use em fir brumeads, er zummat, but twere nivir done. en thay be zum thirsty varmints - wuzzin withy I low."

I would hate to see the dialects of the English language disappear. The more arcane it is the more rewarding it is to understand. Doric was easy as some relatives of mine are fishermen from MacDuff and much more easy than a farmer uncle of mine from East Malling in Kent.

I thought I had them all sussed - even deepest Wiltshire which was the hardest of the lot - until I met the people renting me a holiday cottage in Urafirth in Shetland. I got about one word in three at first!

There's nocht sae sober as a man blin drunk.
I maun hae goat an unco bellyfu'
To jaw like this

Sandison

Lived and worked on Tyneside and in Northumberland and Durham for many years..

I heard it as "Hoyaammehini"

Whatever, "broons al roon" journey into space....

Another of my great joys were the songs: Lambton Worm, The Day we Missed the Train, and the Washin Day....

Larn yoursel Geordie..

Bruce
Bruce Sandison

sandyborthwick

As a youngster in Shetland there was a basic dialect which covered all the islands but sometimes very distinct local deviations from Island to Island. The words I used to really like most were the animals, Scorie, Dunter, Tammy Norrie, Neasuk, and Bounxie(often pronounced bouncy) to name but a few. Even the insects seemed to have more interesting and descriptive names - Slaters(woodlice) just seems to picture their dark grey backs like slates one on top of the other.

Funny thing now is that if someone speaks to me in the dialect its so easy to understand still but I still tend to use English in reply. I can remember at school how we were not allowed to commit the cardinal sin of being heard to use the local dialect in the classroom but as soon as we were outside you just didn't use anything else. In some ways I suppose the call it progress but "I wis fair wabbit oot kippin up wi it".

Sandy B.O.     

nant_fisher

I've always used Slater instead of woodlouse. Thought it was just a general Scottish word.
Adventure time

Wildfisher

Gollach is common. Incidentally I think it means forked in Gaelic!

There?s a forked hill, Ben Gollach, near Ullapool

hooper

Ony Lossiemoother shood kane FITTYCAT. A word passed doon through generations o codheeds.

Go To Front Page