News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

Ornithology

Started by Black-Don, May 18, 2009, 12:28:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Black-Don

I was up at  Harelaw the other day with the Pieman and was just wondering if someone could identify these ?

Mummy, Daddy and goslings. Now I know why the gosling fly is called a gosling or do I . :?

Black-Don

I'm seeing more and more of these. What's the score, I knew of the species but didn't realise they were native to Scotland or are they ?

Malcolm

They're nesting on Loch Ba at the moment.
There's nocht sae sober as a man blin drunk.
I maun hae goat an unco bellyfu'
To jaw like this

Harpo

tam

Looks Tasty, its a big bird too, the book the recipe is sourced from also looks interesting  :8)

toms dun

apparently theres 4or five sub specie's in canada and the states
Tom

Tim

Thousands of these with us down south and I trim their numbers a bit in the winter. I'd rather eat mallard, but they can be tasty.

Very nice light grey cdc feathers round the preen gland (cul d'oie?) which is a nice contrast to darker natural duck CDC.

Tim

Black-Don

When were they introduced and more to the point,

Quote from: Harpo on May 18, 2009, 02:40:06 PM
You can eat them, probably taste better than Rainbows !

http://homecooking.about.com/od/gooseandduckrecipes/r/blgoose5.htm

Are they protected. :twisted:

Wildfisher

Quote from: The Whaup on May 18, 2009, 11:05:11 AM
a pest in some places.

Just curious, but what makes them  a pest?

Pheasants are not native birds either, but are still released into the wild so  folk with  guns can have fun shooting them. Why are non native pheasants good and non native geese bad?

Wildfisher

Quote from: The Whaup on May 18, 2009, 09:09:13 PM
Who said pheasants were a good thing?

Quite obviously not you or I.

Apart from making damn fine nymphs pheasants are a pain in the arse and a  far greater and more dangerous pest than the odd foreign goose. I wonder how many accidents are caused by drivers swerving to avoid these especially stupid birds that seem to appear in droves on our roads for late August onwards?

I would have thought that pheasants rather than these geese  are the real rainbows of the air. Both are stocked for the gormless to pursue.

Are pheasants protected?

Go To Front Page