News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

Guess the plants

Started by Ardbeg, April 26, 2010, 01:40:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ardbeg

Darren (Dazdidge) queried what this plant might be yesterday.  He thought it was something or other, but I can't remember what he said :roll:

Any takers?

[attachimg=1]
plant

Further along the river I discovered a carpet of this stuff. 

[attachimg=2]
carpet of stuff

I know what it is, are there any takers.  Here's a closer pic.  It's the purple-tinged double leafed plant.

[attachimg=3]
Close up of stuff

Cheers

Ardbeg

Wildfisher

I think the top one is comfrey, the bottom ones look like cotyledons (seed leaves) of some  recently germinated seed, possibly sycamore, but it's hard to tell.

fishermann

I to would go along with the top one being Comfrey and the other, going buy the flower is Lesser Celandine.

Not sure but I think in the good old days they thought it might be a cure for piles  :shock:
pull up a plant and look at the tubers (roots) and all will become self evident.   :lol: :D

Dave

Wildfisher

Himalayan Balsam seedlings?

dazdidge

I thought it was comfrey myself, so time to do some picking. A gardner friend told me to soak comfrey leaves in water for a few days then kind of mash them up and leave for for another few days, strain the liquid and then used it to feed the tomatoes. I don't know if he is taking the piss or not but I am going to give it a try. He swears it will double the size of them.

cheers
daz

Go To Front Page