News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

Mushrooms or Toadstools / Lovely Supper Ingredient or Death on Toast?!

Started by Crawhin, November 18, 2011, 12:19:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Traditionalist

Pretty sure they are "Shaggy Parasols";

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shaggy_parasol

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Parasol_mushroom

They can vary quite widely;
https://www.google.com/search?q=shaggy+parasol+mushroom&hl=en&sa=G&prmd=imvns&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&ei=0KfHTvnNM4_qOb_rzccP&ved=0CFgQsAQ&biw=1277&bih=758

A friend of mine likes to eat them, along with some others which are actually considered toxic!  He reckons they add flavour!   He is 83 and has been eating the stuff all his life without any problems. However, very great care must be taken when collecting fungi to eat. If you are the least bit uncertain then don't eat them!

http://www.alanmuskat.com/articles/parasol2.htm

TL
MC

Crawhin

Cheers for all the pointers lads - parasols (Macrolepiota procera) looks right enough. If so, the stems are said to be fibrous and inedible and the caps tasty but not quite in the shitake or portobello taste league. They were pretty large (up to 6" across) and dramatic perched up above the sea cliff. Will need to bear the location in mind for a bit of a nature ramble come next autumn  :8)  :D

Ian

Black-Don

Since seeing Hugh Fearnly Whittingstall, I've always fancied collecting some wild mushrooms but it's amazing how some which seem edible can actually be quite dangerous. I remeber seeing some which I thought were Chicken of the Woods but when I checked them out they were a poisonous variety !

Can anyone identify this one I saw on the banks of the Endrick ?

Please don't tell me it's bracket fungus as I could've had some very nice amadou if it was  :(

Great thread and photot's BTW. I find the topic of wild mushrooms v. interesting  :8)

Traditionalist

The reason amadou is so called, is that this is the French name for the fungus from which it is obtained. If you find this fungus, then the amadou can be found inside it. The fungus should be soaked for at least a week, and then pressed, or ( carefully!) hammered flat. The amadou can then be cut off in strips with a sharp knife. This fungus is often confused with "Birch bracket", which has no amadou in it.

As noted, the Amadou is obtained from a fungus which grows on trees. The horse shoe, or tinder bracket fungus, Fomes fomentarius. It was commercially processed at one time for a number of things, one of which was tinder for flintlocks, and similar( the fungus was soaked in urine, which contians nitrates, or directly in various other solutions, and then dried, making it highly flammable), and the other was as a styptic. For stilling blood, by dentists etc. It is the best drying agent bar none for dry flies, most especially CDC flies, and I would not like to be without a piece in my fishing jacket. It can be difficult to obtain nowadays, and is usually expensive. The raw fungus is not common everywhere, ( there is a great deal of it in the woods around my home however!:)), and it is quite difficult to prepare or use.

Much of the stuff offered for sale to anglers as "amadou", is not amadou at all. I have seen all sorts of stuff. Prepared Amadou looks like a piece of dry washleather when dry, is brittle, and must be handled carefully, or it will disintegrate. Prior to use, it must be soaked, and then gently pressed out ( do not wring!). It will remove moisture, slime, etc from dry flies immediately, simply by pressing these between the amadou.

Nowadays some very good microfibre cloths are available which are just as good as amadou. They work on the same principle of micropores.

For absolutely perfect results, the amadou should be used in conjunction with a small canister of ground silica gel ( This is the small beads of stuff, usually packaged in small sachets, used to prevent moisture in computer packaging etc). Crush the beads in a soft cloth using a hammer. Or use a coffee grinder. ( I use the same coffee grinder which I use for making dubbing, a Krups 75).

To use, put the fly in the container ( 35mm can), and shake it. It will be returned to its former pristine glory almost immediately. Treat with floatant if required ( NOT CDC!!!).

More extensive info and pictures;

http://www.capnfishy.co.uk/resources/Articles/amadou.htm

TL
MC

Harpo

Quote from: guest on November 19, 2011, 11:59:38 PM
I've always fancied collecting some wild mushrooms but it's amazing how some which seem edible can actually be quite dangerous.

Hi Don, have  look at the book i mentioned earlier it really does make it safe by keeping you well away from the dangerous

mind you i haven't found anything yet "!

Buanán

Quote from: Crawhin on November 18, 2011, 12:19:31 AM
Saw quite a number of these large (6 - 8" across) fungi at the weekend. I'm useless at mushroom identification so left them well alone but has anyone got a positive ID on them and did I miss out on a gourmet treat?!  :?

[attachimg=1]

Cheers,

Ian 

They look like panther caps to me, maybe not, but maybe yes. If so, deadly, if not possibly quite tasty?????? Death on toast IMO........ 

Inchlaggan

Make up your own mind!
Parasol
[attachimg=1]
Panther Cap
[attachimg=2]
'til a voice as bad as conscience,
rang interminable changes,
on an everlasting whisper,
day and night repeated so-
"Something hidden, go and find it,
Go and look beyond the ranges,