News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

Recent posts

Trout Fishing / Re: Poor start to the season
Last post by Scozzie - April 22, 2024, 12:22:23 AM
Was out on wed cool breeze got 5 wee Wildes nothing great but at least it's an improvement onward and upward
Last post by andy m - April 21, 2024, 10:38:03 PM
did lintrethen have anything to do with it back then Fred thinking as they were brown trout only at that time,could you remember how long the rainbow experiment went on for would have been a bit of a novelty at the time am thinking there would not have been much rainbow trout fishery's in that area , was rescobie a brown trout loch in the early 70s, changed days all the reservoirs that a could remember in fife when I was boy mid 70s were brown trout waters had loch fifty in lindores loch that stocked rainbows , sorry kind of de railed the topic poor start to the season, aye it's still crap weather outside lol
Last post by Wildfisher - April 21, 2024, 09:48:53 PM
I fished it from a boat in the 70s. Stocked with rainbows back them.
Last post by andy m - April 21, 2024, 07:56:11 PM
that's what I've found it fishes a lot better when the water level is down maybe you get a chance to fish drop offs but as you sae Fred not a lot off features the odd drystone dyke in part off the old road , the two main feeder burns that enter the reservoir would be worth a go in that area but even with the water low access look difficult a lot of fallen pine trees all though i have seen walkers up there so there must be a path but my dodgy knees a don't think I will bother would have been good if there were a few boats on it to book you would get some long drifts to try
Last post by Wildfisher - April 21, 2024, 06:49:54 PM
Only thing I really don't like about the Backwater is its uniformity and lack of features. Typical big reservoir I suppose. Not much in the way of bays, skerries etc. In fact I find it fishes better when it's low with a great tide mark along the edge. Then the deeper water is easier to cover without wading.
Last post by andy m - April 21, 2024, 03:57:38 PM
thanks Fred , that's gave me a wee bit more encouragement for my trip to the loch, my pal who am going with on his first time to backwater said to me he promised his elderly neighbour a fish a joked you will need a good few to make a meal , any way we split up in agreed to meet up in a few hours it was bright and warm and the fishing was dour had two wee fish when a met him he said a got a fish for my neighbours tea it's a good yin and sure enough a cracker lucky bugger about 1 3/4 lb on a peter Ross so there is big fish in there but they don't turn up often not had anything bigger than 3/4 lb myself
Last post by Wildfisher - April 21, 2024, 02:47:38 PM
The Backwater fishes well early season and often the fish are bigger as well.
Last post by andy m - April 21, 2024, 02:36:54 PM
going to try backwater on Thursday never fished it in April so might have to fish a bit deeper especially how cold it's been for weeks now in it's a fair size of a loch to warm up might be a poor show but we will see how it goes
Last post by Wildfisher - April 21, 2024, 01:11:15 PM
Forecast for this week is grim again. Cold north winds and rain. :(
Last post by Wildfisher - April 21, 2024, 01:07:19 PM
That's about right for this time of year.
Go To Front Page