News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

Attaching Fly Lines To Leaders

Started by Wildfisher, February 25, 2008, 07:56:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

harelug

I used to use braided loops, then for a while switched to either a heavy mono butt or a polyleader nail knotted to the flyline. Been using furled leaders for about the last year conected by loop to loop. Shorb loop in both ends of furled leader and a double walled braided loop on flyline.http://www.furledleaders.co.uk/twin-walled-leader-loop.html
Check this link, really neat loop.
There is no greater
  fan of fly fishing

Than the worm

The General

Did ma heed in first thing in the morning   

Davie :roll:

haresear

It strikes me that you are relying on the coating of the polyleader staying attached to the core. Can I suggest it may be as well to use the heaviest tippet you expect to use and test your arrangement to destruction to make sure it holds?

Alex

Protect the edge.

haresear

Quotecould the entire 6ft length of core be pulled out while playing a troot?

I was thinking of the portion within the braid, but you are probably right that it is sound enough for normal trout fishing.

Alex
Protect the edge.

Wildfisher

what about Moser Minicons?

Olie Edwards swears by then;  auld bugger that he is..................... :D

.D.

Quote from: admin on May 23, 2008, 09:13:43 PM
what about Moser Minicons?

Olie Edwards swears by then;  auld bugger that he is..................... :D

That's what I use much of the time. Small double-walled braided loops. I've never had huge issues with them either.

I replaced one of my fly lines at the start of the season. The flyline happens to have one of those "welded" loops built in. Anyone here have any thoughts on them?

.D.

Clan Ford

I've a Rio midge tip line with a welded loop.  Find it a bit bulky really but I've not chopped it off - if it was my dry fly line it would have been long gone.

Norm

Clan Ford

I should say that I like to attach my leader by the Superglue technique.

http://www.flyfisherman.com/skills/dwnoknot/index1.html

I pretty much use this for my dry fly only set up, however I've just turned my double taper 4 round and try as I might I can't feed the needle into the fly line :(  I manged the other end, can't figure out why not this end, it simply seems too thin :?  Anyway,  I've attached a vey neat braided loop instead (see photo).

Norm

.D.

Quote from: wee bri on May 26, 2008, 10:15:55 PM
I've only come across the Scientific Anglers Sharkskin line with this welded loop .D.
I'd imagine it should be a little neater passing the rod rings given that it's factory made though.
Bit pricey at ?70?
Are there there manufacturers doing this?
How have you found yours?

wee bri.......

It's another Scientific Anglers line (one of those Mastery ones - cannot remember which). I've only fished it a few times - one positive thing I can say is that the tip floats well- probably because it is sealed. I don't know how long that will remain so.

.D.

haresear

QuoteI've just turned my double taper 4 round and try as I might I can't feed the needle into the fly line

Have you tried a sewing machine needle Norm? It makes life a lot easier.

Alex
Protect the edge.

Go To Front Page