News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

Short Rods

Started by col, November 02, 2009, 09:22:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

col

Hi all, thinking about buying a 5ft-6ft fly blank as a project for making a new burn rod, does anyone use really short rods , any problems/ drawbacks , im used to using 7' 6" rods but have never used anything shorter.Cant imagine casting with one,but i figure thyd be right at home on a tiny tree lined burn?
And does fishing weighted nymphs(goldheads) on a 2 weight become unpleasant would i be better of with a 3# or 4#(which are available)
Col

River Chatter

Good question Col. Like you the shortest rod I've used is a 7'6" #3, but I fancy going even smaller for burn fishing. After all, Santa Clause is coming to town!  :D

sandyborthwick

7' 3# Fladen fishes little gold head bugs fine, I often hold the rod up above the cork handle when on some really tight streams.

Have found it great for wee stream trout and grayling, haven't come across a big enough river to outclass the set up yet.

A little six footer sounds interesting for some of the places I find myself on the small rivers nowadays.

Sandy B.O.     

Malcolm

I've used them down to 6ft but on occasion put the reel in my waistcoat pocket and used part of a rod. I've found no problems although I have to be a little sharper in the casting action.

As I write I've got the two top parts of an old 3 piece cane rod which I intend doing something with during the close season. I had thought a 7 ft rod but I may cut it down further - just a handle and the tip section which would be about 4' 3" or so. 
There's nocht sae sober as a man blin drunk.
I maun hae goat an unco bellyfu'
To jaw like this

Go To Front Page