News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

Grip Repair - Cork Filler

Started by River Chatter, February 05, 2010, 01:45:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

River Chatter

I've had a look around the forum for some advice on filling holes on a cork handle but haven't come across anything.  I'm gonna tart up the handle on a Hardy Classic Smuggler I got as a gift from Mrs Chatters donks ago and chuck it on Fleabay to fund some gear I might actually use - sorry Helen! The rod hasn't been used much, but the handle's got some nasty holes in it where the filler's come out.. Hardy quality my arse! Seem to remember something about using cork dust and glue, but can't remember what glue to use. Also there was something on here a while back about cleaning a cork handle... anyone remember the thread?

garryh

scroll down and there is stuff called pit paste here ?4 a jar though
http://www.solwaycustomcomponents.com/Grip_Material.html

Garry
Education is important.
But fishing is importanter

Inchlaggan

Roket Powder and Roket "Hot" Cyano from hobby.uk.com
-codes dm69 and dm30-
mix with (very dry) wine cork dust (as in prior post).
'til a voice as bad as conscience,
rang interminable changes,
on an everlasting whisper,
day and night repeated so-
"Something hidden, go and find it,
Go and look beyond the ranges,
Something lost beyond the ranges,
Lost and waiting for you,
Go."

River Chatter

I don't want a new handle Remington, I want a new-to-me handle... I'm going to sell it afterall.  Anyway, I reckon I'll go with the Tite Bond 2 (what with me being tight and all) cos it's a bit like PVA, I think and my vague memory tells me that the method used traditionally used a glue like PVA.  Thanks for the advice guys... as always, just brill!  :D

Highlander

Cork dust mixed with a waterproof PVA glue is fine (B&Q) Using a spatula ( flat lollipop stick), gently force it into the void. Once dry sand down with extra fine sandpaper.
Tight Lines
" The Future's Bright The Future's Wet Fly"

Nemo me impune lacessit

Clan Ford

Give the handle a brush over with tooth paste once yer finished it get rid of any dirt nicely :D

Norm

harelug

I've used Araldite mixed with cork dust in the past to do some pretty serious filling and it works fine.
There is no greater
  fan of fly fishing

Than the worm

garryh

use minimum glue and cork dust to make a paste,too much glue and it ends up looking shiny .try to put glue into bit to be filled and then press the paste on top.rub pure cork dust on top once you have finished allow to dry then sand.be careful if you use sand paper to make the dust you will probably end up with bits in the dust.emery paper is better.

Garry
Education is important.
But fishing is importanter

toms dun

If you use Wet and dry or coloured abrasive to make the cork dust you can see if it is contaminated with the abrasive also quality abrasives don't break down like glass -sand papers
Tom

Highlander

I would tend not to use epoxy resin such as Araldite. It would set too hard have no give & liable to "pop out"
Having "repaired" many of my rods over the years I find that an exterior grade PVA glue mixed with fine cork dust is the way to go.
Tight lines
" The Future's Bright The Future's Wet Fly"

Nemo me impune lacessit

Go To Front Page