News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

Rod Advice

Started by davefromtheattic, March 08, 2010, 04:07:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

davefromtheattic

hi all,

I'm in the market for a new rod and I'm on the hunt for some advice. I've been trawling the internet looking at reviews and getting a general idea of what's out there. I don't fish rivers as of yet, only lochs from bank or boat. I've been using a Shakespeare Xcede 7/8 with a cheap plastic reel so far. I'd like to get a setup that is well balanced to make a good starting point for working on my casting, something that's light enough to avoid fatigue over a long day. Any advice would be brilliant as the amount of info I've soaked up in the past few days has just left me confused.

Dave.

River Chatter

Personally, I'd spend my budget on a decent rod and continue using the cheapo reel for a bit.

Predictably... what's your max price? 

davefromtheattic

I've got about 300 just now, possibly another 300 soon. I planned to get a rod, new reel with spools, new lines and waders with boots. Basically getting myself properly kitted out. I'm trying to be sensible about what I'm spending though and not get carried away. I thought about 100 to 150 on the rod.

davefromtheattic

I got one of those Vantage 4 piece rods for a spare the other week for 20. I was looking at the Airflow MTec 3, then I saw Garry Evans doing Diamondback Flawless rods for under 100. There is just so much choice it's hard to make a decision when you just want to buy once and buy right.

davefromtheattic

I've been warned off the greys stuff and from what I hear they are on the heavy side.

Malcolm

Dave,

If you can then get along to the Glasgow Casting Club before you spend a penny. There are a number of forum members in attendance there and you may very well find a good few rods thrust into your hands for you to try. If you are coming along I'll bring a few rods. Gasman on here is a bit of a whiz at getting very good rods for very little money.

It's difficult I know but try not to buy blind - everyone is different.
There's nocht sae sober as a man blin drunk.
I maun hae goat an unco bellyfu'
To jaw like this

davefromtheattic

That's a great idea Malcolm. I could give you guys a good laugh at my casting at the same time! When and where does it take place?

davefromtheattic

Note to self: Don't buy a rod from Alan  :lol:

I don't know if I could go ahead with spending 300 on a rod like the marryat. The other subject that daunts me is the line rating, since I've only ever fished a 7.

Malcolm

Oh yes, I forgot, don't ever listen to any advice from Alan. Never. Not ever. No, no, no.

He'll have you stealing your granny's pension book for a few extra quid to buy a super fast GRX (DTI) GT. (The one that says "Not for the average caster but if you can handle the super tight loops and enormous line speed this might just be the rod that can extract that big old snapper from 10ft under an overhanging mangrove 90 feet away").  
There's nocht sae sober as a man blin drunk.
I maun hae goat an unco bellyfu'
To jaw like this

davefromtheattic

Nice one Malcolm, I'll keep my eye on him.

Go To Front Page