News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

Rod Advice

Started by davefromtheattic, March 08, 2010, 04:07:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

scotty9

Dave - sunday mornings, 9-12 at knightswood pond in Glasgow. You'll see it on googlemaps, archerhill road.

I'll bring a few rods from the price spectrum and a few lines for you to try if you want? And we don't laugh at dodgy casting at the casting club? We fix it, then laugh about what it used to look like  :8)

davefromtheattic

Excellent, I'll come along this Sunday then. Thanks for the help guys.

scotty9

Should also say, if 9 sounds a bit ambitious don't be worried about turning up later. I normally arrive around 10-11.

davefromtheattic

What's the format? I've never been to anything like this before.

scotty9

Quote from: davefromtheattic on March 08, 2010, 06:58:22 PM
What's the format? I've never been to anything like this before.

Format? There isn't one. It is more of an informal meeting of people who wish to practice casting. Some use it for a chat, some use it to improve certain aspects, some try to improve their whole game and some try to become world beaters.

If you come along a quick introduction including what you want to learn/get better at and you'll get the help you need. If that's everything just say so and likewise if there is something in particular.

Look forward to meeting you.

davefromtheattic

Thanks for the advice, I've been looking at between 9ft6 and 11ft in a 7. I thought with the longer rod I could 1) get my flies higher in the boat to avoid my boatmates and 2) have better control of my dabble. I've never tried a 6, is it just better for presentation?

davefromtheattic

I'll aim for a minimum of 10ft then, I was just worried about an 11 footer being cumbersome and unresponsive.

Malcolm

Dave,
Amongst some others I'll bring along a 10ft 6in #7 rod (Hardy Ultralite plus)  which is what I use for seatrout fishing from a boat on Loch Lomond. I have to say though that this style of rod would not be my choice for an all round bank and boat loch rod. Especially if you are just starting.

However, you have to decide for yourself what this one rod is going to be and this weekend you can try a few. Just don't buy before the weekend!

There's nocht sae sober as a man blin drunk.
I maun hae goat an unco bellyfu'
To jaw like this

davefromtheattic

I know, it's HARD though! There is a diamondback vsr 10ft 6wt second hand rod that for some reason is calling out to me to buy it.

I agree, the choice out there is just making me scratch my head.

davefromtheattic

I've looked at the page, but I read somewhere they were not great. I think the problem is there is a wealth of information and opinions on the internet. I might be steered away from my perfect rod because I read a review that slated it. It's like you said Malcolm, you have to choose for yourself based on the feel of the rod.

Go To Front Page