News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

Rod Advice

Started by davefromtheattic, March 08, 2010, 04:07:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

scotty9

I'd never buy a rod blind. I've tried a whole load of different rods now, and whilst you can make any rod work it depends on what you're looking for feel wise.

If you took me, Alan, Alex and Malcolm at the casting club, gave us a rod. None of us would agree on each others opinions, that's the way it works. You really need to try.  :D

I'm afraid my rod range is limited to 5 #5 weights, 1 #7 and 1 #10-11 at the moment. More than welcome to try them out though. I don't boat fish or fish sunken lines hence the rod ratings.

davefromtheattic

I was just reading the other thread about Orvis. I had intentionally stayed away from that name, amongst others, because I associated it with big price tags. I went to the site and saw the Western3 10ft 6wt at 159.99 and coupled with the stories of how good their customer service is, it sounds like a good deal to me. Can you buy them cheaper anywhere else?

Wildfisher

If I were you I would not get too hung up on this 10 foot rods for lochs thing. 9 foot is less tiring to use and more versatile IMO. I say that as an ex 10 foot rod user.

davefromtheattic

Thanks, I think it's the paranoia that my casting in the wind is going to hit my boatmates.

davefromtheattic

That's why I was going for the ten, for the dibble control. I see what you mean though about the 9ft being a better length for a general purpose rod. For the dibble control I'll go with the 9ft6.

davefromtheattic

Thanks for the offer but it was the warranty that came with the Orvis that was swinging it for me. At 159 it was at the top end of my budget.

Wildfisher

Quote from: guest on March 09, 2010, 07:51:01 PM
I thought you didn't fish lochs Fred?? :lol:

I do, but only when  its' time for some  token patronisation of the lower classes.  :lol:

davefromtheattic

Does glasgow angling centre have the facility to try rods out? I was going to swing by there after the casting club on sunday.

scotty9

Quote from: davefromtheattic on March 10, 2010, 11:09:59 AM
Does glasgow angling centre have the facility to try rods out? I was going to swing by there after the casting club on sunday.

Yes. I've done it a couple times with no real intention of buying  :lol: Just say to the guy, you're not buying today but would quite like to try X,  Y and Z. Hope your tracking is good, it's a narrow testing bit they've got :D

davefromtheattic

Here is something I've been pondering. I've a heavyish fastish rod, a light slow rod and the Vantage, which I've not really tried out properly yet. When you guys try a rod are you really just comparing it to the rod you've practised the most with/your favorite rod? I'm wondering whether, because I don't have a preference yet, I am just going to have to buy something of good quality and over time learn to use it?

Go To Front Page