News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

Rod Advice

Started by davefromtheattic, March 08, 2010, 04:07:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

davefromtheattic

Oh, great, I'm going to have to get one now!

Wildfisher

Alan,

These Fladen rods are amazing. I bought a 7 foot #3 for the wee burns last year. It is a delight.

I was using a Nielsen Powerflex 9 foot  #5 today (it's better as a #4) that I bought on Ebay (new) for 35 quid a few years back - I have 3 of them  :shock:   (one's a #6).

It's a wonderful rod! I have landed wild trout up to 7lb on it. It "feels".

Cheap rods are often as good if not better to fish with than rods that require a second mortgage.

davefromtheattic

Good points! Picked one up today for ?16! I just wish something would arrive so I can get practising before my first venture with a 5wt. Alan, how do you mark up your line? At what intervals? Do you just use a sharpie? Cheers.

Wildfisher

Quote from: davefromtheattic on March 21, 2010, 07:48:32 PM
Ha ha! Picked one up today for ?16!

picked up what?

A Fladen?
A Nielsen?
A woman?

:lol:

davefromtheattic

The Fladen 8' 4wt 4 piece.

Malcolm

Dave,

You seemed such a sensible guy. Alan has infected you with his rod buying bug. It may be worthwhile to  eat a clove of garlic when you next talk to Alan. Possibly doesn't work over the phone.

There's nocht sae sober as a man blin drunk.
I maun hae goat an unco bellyfu'
To jaw like this

scotty9

Quote from: davefromtheattic on March 21, 2010, 07:48:32 PM
Good points! Picked one up today for ?16! I just wish something would arrive so I can get practising before my first venture with a 5wt. Alan, how do you mark up your line? At what intervals? Do you just use a sharpie? Cheers.

Dave - get out a tape measure and measure the line to 42.5' and make a marking there. That is the end of the rear taper or head section. Note this is only for your snowbee line. All the marking means is for the time being do not try and cast with it outside the rod tip or you'll have problems - i'll maybe explain why and when it's useful in the future  :lol:

And a black sharpie Alan swears bye. I didn't get sharpies to last on the line. I use a uni gloss paint marker. Put it on, leave it to dry then slick up the line. You'll find the top gloss layer might flake off a bit on the first use or two but it will leave the line coloured black underneath. That's how i do it anyway.

Go To Front Page