News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

Centre Pin problems

Started by Malcolm, October 17, 2010, 11:14:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Malcolm

I found my old centre pin (Youngs Trudex) a couple of days ago. It hasn't seen the light of day for a couple of decades. it was a bit sticky so not being in any way mechanical i wiped down the spindle and squirted some WD40 into it. I gave it a spin and it was much better spinning for about 30 secs or so. So I then tried to get rid of the WD 40 and run on some reel lube. Bad move as the lube seemed to slow the spool down a lot. again tried to get it off and put on some fine reel oil - great - except it just runs off - perhaps as a result of me putting on the WD40. It also has a rlight rubbing noise that I can't remember it having. Any ideas on getting the old girl running smoothly again? 
There's nocht sae sober as a man blin drunk.
I maun hae goat an unco bellyfu'
To jaw like this

haresear

Try sewing machine oil Malcolm. Three in one works ok too. The trick with centrepins is just to put a drop or two on the very tip of the spindle.

I came across something via google that suggests acetone is good for removing the WD40 residue.

Alex
Protect the edge.

alancrob

Try the sort of tar and grease remover you can get for taking tar off the car.

As an idea try Johnsons baby wipes!  I was doing a lot of painting over the summer in India. I don't know what cchemicals they put in paint but white spirit did not touch it, baby wipes were great, but only Johnsons. Boots own did not do the same job.

No, I don't understand either.

Remember WD is water displacement so it will just laugh at ant water based attempts.

Alan

alba

anything with a degreasing agent will revove any release oil residue, traffic film remover, tar and glue remover, brake cleaner, even fairy liquid on a cloth with remove it.

Highlander

Start from scratch
Wash the reel in a paraffin bath, get any crud removed with a small bristle brush.
Lightly grease spindle/pawls with a purpose reel grease or at least a lithium based make.
A drop of 3 in 1 oil on all other moving parts.
A lightly smeared oily cloth, wipe over all of the reel.........Finished
" The Future's Bright The Future's Wet Fly"

Nemo me impune lacessit

Go To Front Page