News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

build your own reel kit

Started by Steve, January 09, 2011, 11:31:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Steve

Lots of people build rods, how many build reels?
I was shown this site earlier

http://www.eclecticangler.com/pages/About.html

they also do horse hair flylines and even supply hair to make your own lines
the flies would never make the grade for a fly swap  :lol:
steve

sandyborthwick

Interesting Steve,

Never thought of that - possibly thinking of one of those brass 4# kits for a small river reel.

Now I know a kit is a bit of a cheat but I could catch a trout on my home built Rod, Reel, and Fly. :D

Like the idea of a small brass river reel - seems to really appeal :lol:.

Sandy B.O.

Highlander

Do not know about making your own reels, Would have thought that a fair bit of engineering skills would be required. Buying it in kit form to me is "not making a reel".
As for the Tenkara flies I relalise that it is probaby "the style" but to be honest they are in my opinion, well the ones that I have seen offered for sale to be "pish poor" tied.
Tight Lines
" The Future's Bright The Future's Wet Fly"

Nemo me impune lacessit

Inchlaggan

Quote from: piscatus absentis on January 12, 2011, 08:39:21 PM
Making reels isn't as difficult as it seems.  One company I worked for had a toolroom where the engineers spent more time on homers than they did on company work and could knock up a Hardy copy in less than a day.   I didn't know they made reels until just before the toolroom was closed down.  Works of art some of them were and I know of two that are still in regular use.
Correct, but it would probably take me a month!
Took a look at some of the machining sites on the web and there are a few mentions of folk that do it, but no schematics. Most seem to copy and modify an original (as PA says above). Drag systems are where you are going to run into problems. Not sure where you would source small quantities if Aircraft Grade Au, but a nice "old-style" brass Hardy should be possible with lathe and mill, and the asscoiated kit. The bit that will break your heart is that 90% of the metal you buy will end up on the floor, the commercial guys will have a recycling process.
See http://www.chronos.ltd.uk/ for kit and supplies.
'til a voice as bad as conscience,
rang interminable changes,
on an everlasting whisper,
day and night repeated so-
"Something hidden, go and find it,
Go and look beyond the ranges,
Something lost beyond the ranges,
Lost and waiting for you,
Go."

Wildfisher

Quote from: piscatus absentis on January 13, 2011, 01:39:20 PM
Maybe a separate point but are disc brakes needed - what did we do before they arrived.

For most Scottish trout fishing no they are not. In some circumstances they are very useful. Good disk drag is just an improvement, like better hooks, better rods etc.  Back in the early 1970s my old Ford Anglia took me fishing, but I find the journey more enjoyable in the car I drive now, feel safer and get more MPG .  :D

Inchlaggan

Maybe a separate point but are disc brakes needed - what did we do before they arrived.
Off topic but maybe an interesting point for a poll.
How many of us play a fish "off the reel" and how many by "hand alone"?
Without this addition the engineering is quite simple.
'til a voice as bad as conscience,
rang interminable changes,
on an everlasting whisper,
day and night repeated so-
"Something hidden, go and find it,
Go and look beyond the ranges,
Something lost beyond the ranges,
Lost and waiting for you,
Go."

sandyborthwick

The first fly reel I owned was an open spooled tinned steel affair, probably have it in a cupboard somewhere still. I don't think I'd need to be a full blown engineering type to produce something similar of reasonable quality in brass plate. I do have the added advantage of having my own machine lathe and milling machine but it might be quite a fun project.

I don't think I'd get too complicated on the drag system and just try something simple and similar to the LC series with spring steel. I'm not sure the wee brook brownies from my parts would need too much drag :lol: although they are pretty colourful in their birthday suits. :8)

Sandy B.O.

Malcolm

Quote from: admin on January 13, 2011, 01:45:16 PM
For most Scottish trout fishing no they are not. In some circumstances they are very useful. Good disk drag is just an improvement, like better hooks, better rods etc.  Back in the early 1970s my old Ford Anglia took me fishing, but I find the journey more enjoyable in the car I drive now, feel safer and get more MPG .  :D

It's interesting that one of the sought after salmon reels has no drag - the old Young's Condex, which was re-badged by Shakespeare, Daiwa, Bruce and Walker amongst others. I've got two of these in salmon sizes and like most people who have these I'll hang on to them.

Similarly the Loop/Danielson traditional reel, the first popular large arbour, has no drag either, the spool being tightened up just enough to prevent over-runs. They use these for flats fish too which are much stronger even than typical Atlantic salmon.

The reel I use for single handed salmon fishing does have a drag but I don't use it. So generally my opinion is a disc drag for any of our Scottish fishing isn't necessary. The one advantage of disc drag reels is that they can run silent although I know others like the sound of a screaming reel! .
There's nocht sae sober as a man blin drunk.
I maun hae goat an unco bellyfu'
To jaw like this

Fishtales

Don't worry, be happy.
Sandy
Carried it in full, then carry it out empty.
http://www.ftscotland.co.uk/

Looking for a webhost? Try http://www.1and1.co.uk/?k_id=2966019

east wind

This was before the days of disc drags although I've no doubt these men could have done it - toolroom men were la creme de la creme of engineers. 

Correct  :8)
Listen son, said the man with the gun
There's room for you inside.

Go To Front Page