News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

XF2 Streamflex Plus

Started by Steve, February 12, 2011, 07:56:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Steve

I think this is a new Rod from Greys
it is an idea that Allan Liddle sent to Hardy's and Bruce and Walker a few years ago, Allan talked to me about it 2 or 3 years ago at the Crask,
it does seem like a good idea, 2 rods in one where the angler does not have to worry about where to keep the extra section, I wonder if Allan is involved?
anyone know?

http://fly.greysfishing.com/en-us/products/flyfishing-rods/single-handed/xf2-streamflex-plus/

Steve

Wildfisher

Allan Liddle  was talkinbg about this more than 3 years ago Steve. If he is not involved it  looks like someone may have got in there before him or nicked his idea.

Clan Ford

I don't think the extra 6" makes much difference.  The ideal is a 9ft and a 10ft rod.

Norm

Wildfisher

Alex was just saying Hardy's have had rods like this with spare tip sections in the butt for many years, so it's not a new idea. What difference adding just 6" to a fly rod will make escapes me. A bit of a gimmick really.

Malcolm

David Norwich will create an extra section for any multipiece rod to change the length. There's a video about this on youtube.
There's nocht sae sober as a man blin drunk.
I maun hae goat an unco bellyfu'
To jaw like this

Highlander

I really do not see what is "new" here or indeed any great advantage in it's addition, well not the way they protray it. It appears to be basically a "butt extenson" I do not see any mention of an extra section or am I missing something.The Abu Lapplandia many years ago had a retractable butt which basically made it a wee double hander.
How I wish I still had mine, been looking on E Bay for years but has never come up to date.
Tight Lines
PS:
QuoteThe perfectly balanced 6" extension 
How can a butt section be balanced, with what

Quoteand gives you the added extra reach so important when nymph fishing
How is that? The handle stays the same so the rod is still 9ft 6"
" The Future's Bright The Future's Wet Fly"

Nemo me impune lacessit

Wildfisher

All the travel rods I own have an optional butt section that can add a foot to the rod. It's a load of pish to be honest, I just leave it on all the time. Greys might do better concentrating on building rods that don't break.

Highlander

Right Steve, sorry about that I see it now how it works when I click on thumb nail. Even dafter than I first thought though.
A 6" section which would include a male & female joint is that what they are saying to be added in between section to give the extra length
Sorry but as a few have said a gimmick. Going back to what a few others have said "Combination" rods were in vogue many years back so nothing new here.
On an aside any one got the old Lapplandia with the extension butt in good nick. I would be interested in buying it.
Tight Lines
PS Disregard my comments about it being an extension handle, that's what happens when you go off at half cock....Dhuuuu

Nemo me impune lacessit

greenwell

Now let's not dismiss this out of hand. This is a pretty good idea. Think about it, you get a 9' rod, a 9' 6" rod, and when it breaks, which it almost certainly will you get a 6" rod for those really, really tiny burns. They're no' daft these Korean, sorry, Alnwick folk.

Greenwell

Highlander

Quotei just don't see the advantage of a rod that can be 6 inches longer
My missus would give you a good arguement.
:roll:
QuoteIts intresting to see you all have passed judgement

Well Buzz I think maybe 40odd years with a fly rod might have something to do with it.
Sometimes you see something that youthink does not "look right" & to me this is one, having said that others mileage may vary & as it should be. For me I am not goint to spend what is it ?300+ for a rod that I think would break in jig time. No way
:)

Nemo me impune lacessit

Go To Front Page