News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

Fly Lines - Make A Welded Loop

Started by Wildfisher, April 10, 2011, 07:26:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wildfisher

I don't worry about them pulling apart, I think the strain required to do that would break the tippet first, but you are right, it is a risk not worth taking  when fishing in places like New Zealand where there is a very realistic chance of not just one, but possibly several big fish. More fish, more the chances or a problem. The whipped loop  needs an adhesive and so far  I have not tried one that does not harden  - that in itself is a cause of cracking although I do find even then they last longer.

Anyone tried these Moser minicons that Oliver Edwards goes on about?

davefromtheattic

I thought I'd try them out a couple of months ago. I couldn't avoid the line splitting at the plastic sleeve on every line I put them on. Plus, they are a pain in the arse to get out the tip ring. I've gone back to the needle knot. Minimum bulk  :8)

Highlander

QuoteThe whipped loop  needs an adhesive and so far  I have not tried one that does not harden 
Fred have you tried Aquasure
Tight Lines
" The Future's Bright The Future's Wet Fly"

Nemo me impune lacessit

scotty9

I've always burnt the line when trying this  :lol:

Needle knot for me, I love it. I just use the same leader for dries, nymphing, even streamer bashing. I just cut the tippet or build more on appropriately, hasn't caused me any bother.

Teither

Quote from: Alan on July 25, 2011, 01:15:46 AM
got a knick out of a line so bin, its got a leader glued in if anyone wants to do a try to pull it out strenght test?

Alan,
         Could you try that one again, please, in English ?  :?
T

Wildfisher

Quote from: Teither on July 26, 2011, 03:58:48 PM
Alan,
         Could you try that one again, please, in English ?  :?
T

ah, so you don't have the Gaelic then?   :lol:

Teither

Quote from: admin on July 26, 2011, 04:03:06 PM
ah, so you don't have the Gaelic then?   :lol:

I do have a few words and phrases - the usual conversational stuff - but I have absolutely no double-Dutch !!  :lol:

T

Malcolm

A wonderful multi-linguist is our Alan

His native language when talking about casting is a curiously musical mixture of Serbo-Croat and Mearns Doric so if Fred would kindly take a course in the former it would be helpful for translation purposes.

Hans may be able to help with the Double Dutch.

There's nocht sae sober as a man blin drunk.
I maun hae goat an unco bellyfu'
To jaw like this

Go To Front Page