News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

Rio Powerflex

Started by east wind, August 04, 2011, 12:11:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

deergravy

Quote from: admin on August 10, 2011, 10:56:59 PMIn NZ we usually use 8lb when fishing these huge dries.

Would that be thin 8lb or thick 8lb?
Since we're talking about diameter..

Yours pedantically etc :)

Wildfisher

8lb Rio Powerflex

......... we're talking about Powerflex   :lol:

Wildfisher

Quote from: guest on August 11, 2011, 09:50:31 PM
Perhaps you should have used some of that the other night and you wouldn't have been broken by a wee scottish troot.
I was suffering from cold hand bad knots. Honest guv   :lol:

Quote from: guest on August 11, 2011, 09:50:31 PM
Yours annoyingly etc  :lol:

You?  never!    :lol:

Wildfisher

Quote from: Alan on August 12, 2011, 01:32:39 AM
surely you dont get broken much with a dry fly

depends on the circumstances of the take.

Robbie

A lot would depend on the angle of approach of the fish.  Peak load in the leader would result from a take in the opposite direction of travel of the fly, but would have thought that is approach would result in a poor hook hold.

Assuming that in order to increase the load in the lead at the point of the take the fish   would have to be approaching the front of the fly (some where between dead ahead and perpendicular).  The additional force added to the line tension would be the force the fish hits the fly with multiplied by the cosine of the angle between the fishes approach and the direction of travel of the fly.

The kinetic energy of the fish could be taken as the impact force applied, increased load in the leader at point of take = 0.5 X mass of the fish X velocity of fish ^2(squared) X Cosine of angle of approach.

Hopefully that is right and makes some sense.

Wildfisher

Congratulations Robbie.  You have just passed the Sexyloops entrance exam.   :lol:

Wildfisher

Quote from: piscatus absentis on August 12, 2011, 07:47:42 AM
The hit is the critical point when (vectors and forces are added?).  

Remember that stated values will also depend on whether you are using the planet-earth or the Borthwick measurement system.

Robbie

Quote from: admin on August 12, 2011, 01:29:36 PM
Congratulations Robbie.  You have just passed the Sexyloops entrance exam.   :lol:

Shame I can't cast for toffee  :lol:

Malcolm

I think we would also have to add surface drag of the line especially for an impact at 90 deg to the direction of travel.
There's nocht sae sober as a man blin drunk.
I maun hae goat an unco bellyfu'
To jaw like this

Robbie

Yes i forgot to mention the line tension due to drag  :oops: However for most cases this should be consistent and minimal. For a 90deg take, as the Cosine of 90 is zero, the increase in tension due to the take will be negligible so this would not be the critical case.

Go To Front Page