News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

refurbishing j plugs

Started by mario, February 22, 2012, 09:29:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mario

got wad of j plugs looking to renovate ie sand down repaint and laquer any ideas how i go about this got few of my own any imput appreciated :D

rubberwellie

Sand them down with fine sandpaper to remove any old flaky paint
Give them a good wipe down with white spirit using an old rag
Apply a couple of coats of primer
Paint the lures your chosen colours
Finish with clear coat

Plastikote aerosols from B&Q are pretty good as are car paints from the likes of Halfords
Apply the paint in thin layers so that it doesn't run and leave to dry between layers
Use a bobbin of some sort that you can leave the lure on whilst it dries then simply spin to do the other side - no fingerprints this way...
I would do this in a shed or garage with the door open rather than in the house, try not to inhale any toxins  :shock:
I'd consider practising on one or two lures before sanding down a load of decent useable plugs

You can buy stick on eyes of different sizes from Glasgow Angling Centre or simply paint them yourself
You can create scale like patterns by holding a fine net tight over the lure whilst spraying - don't use your wifes expensive undies  :lol:
An airbrush is recommended, you can get them fairly cheaply off ebay
Have a look on Youtube, you'll find some useful videos on there

I'm no expert myself but I hope you find this helpful.  I wouldn't mind seeing some before and after pics.

Cheers,
Sean
Let them go.

happyhooker

Quote from: mario on February 22, 2012, 09:29:57 PM
got wad of j plugs looking to renovate ie sand down repaint and laquer any ideas how i go about this got few of my own any imput appreciated :D
Mario- let me know how you get on, would like to see the finished items, got a few you can do for me! Haha :D

mario

Quote from: happyhooker on April 02, 2012, 09:02:24 AM
Mario- let me know how you get on, would like to see the finished items, got a few you can do for me! Haha :D
maybe next time i meet you at the water brian you might talk to me instead of my plugs :D :D :makefun

Otter Spotter

Cant you just buff them up with a J cloth  :lol:

(Very poor, I know)
I used to be a surrealist but now I'm just fish.

rubberwellie

Quote from: Otter Spotter on April 02, 2012, 03:38:10 PM
Cant you just buff them up with a J cloth  :lol:

(Very poor, I know)

It's a long winter!  Painting old lures gives you something to do when the withdrawal symptoms kick in  :D
Let them go.

happyhooker

Quote from: mario on April 02, 2012, 03:10:49 PM
maybe next time i meet you at the water brian you might talk to me instead of my plugs :D :D :makefun
To be fair mate, they are better looking than you, haha!  when are you up next?
Have done a couple j plugs, didnt have the colours in stock i wanted so i improvised with some tired ones!

happyhooker

Quote from: rubberwellie on April 02, 2012, 05:42:30 PM
It's a long winter!  Painting old lures gives you something to do when the withdrawal symptoms kick in  :D
its a long long winter! You find yourself doing strange things! I phoned another angler up one sun ( you know who you are)! To have a chat, he was sat in his boat in his garage havin a brew and a fag- just so happens i was sat in my boat havin a brew- on my feckin drive!

mario

Quote from: happyhooker on April 02, 2012, 09:21:10 PM
its a long long winter! You find yourself doing strange things! I phoned another angler up one sun ( you know who you are)! To have a chat, he was sat in his boat in his garage havin a brew and a fag- just so happens i was sat in my boat havin a brew- on my feckin drive!
god yer a sad old cunt,did you hear what happened when i left awe on the towtruck could only happen to me :D

happyhooker

What happened, saw your car had gone and your boat was trailored.

Go To Front Page