News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

The Great WFF DIY Challenge

Started by Inchlaggan, April 14, 2012, 03:49:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Inchlaggan

Listen Up Forum Members, I have a challenge for you.
Catching a whumper on a fly of your own design and tying has always added a thrill, but how far can the Forum go in terms of DIY gear?
Home -made rods, boats, lures, downriggers and much else have featured before, hopefully I'll add a reel in the next few weeks. We can count the excellent Wildfisher Flylines as part of the mix. Various bits of camping gear have been described, even the biodeisel to get you to the water.
So here is the two-part challenge.
Firstly Create the list of hand-crafted gear we have amongst us, for which points will be awarded (I will be the sole judge). As an example- Home tied fly= 1 point, made with home-dyed feathers= more points, feathers from home-reared birds= even more points, tied on a home-made vice= lots of points. And so on, use your imagination, nothing is exempt if (in the opinion of the Judge) it contributes to the catching of fish- so the knitting of your own bobble hat will count!
Secondly Get together with your fellow Forumites to beg, borrow, steal, buy or share as much of the gear created in part one (above) and go catch a fish with it. This could be part of a DIY Stravaig, or you could simply make/borrow/buy as  much as possible and go out on your own. The total points awarded in part one  for the gear you used  on the day will be multiplied a "Fish Factor" to give an overall winner.
'til a voice as bad as conscience,
rang interminable changes,
on an everlasting whisper,
day and night repeated so-
"Something hidden, go and find it,
Go and look beyond the ranges,
Something lost beyond the ranges,
Lost and waiting for you,
Go."

Traditionalist

Oh dear!  It would take me a long time to make a list of my stuff, I have been an inveterate DIY fanatic for most of my life!

TL
MC

Go To Front Page