News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

Fly Boxes

Started by Inchlaggan, May 15, 2012, 03:04:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Inchlaggan

OK folks, we have a sucker live one on the hook. He's placed an order without asking the price, how are we going to land this one?
'til a voice as bad as conscience,
rang interminable changes,
on an everlasting whisper,
day and night repeated so-
"Something hidden, go and find it,
Go and look beyond the ranges,
Something lost beyond the ranges,
Lost and waiting for you,
Go."

Otter Spotter

I said Generous NOT fecking Stupid  :lol:
I used to be a surrealist but now I'm just fish.

Traditionalist

Quote from: Inchlaggan on May 16, 2012, 04:43:54 PM
OK folks, we have a sucker live one on the hook. He's placed an order without asking the price, how are we going to land this one?

Ask Haresear to show you how to keep him on a short line with a big hairy knot?

TL
MC

Inchlaggan

OK, let's reel him in.
Personalisation is the start, so I'll add his name.
Some go-faster stripes as well.
Wondering about the catch, I could make it with a magnetic closure.
Interior can be glorified as well, I'm thinking ridged amadou in the bottom plus a mirrored magnetic sheet in the top for holding the Peter Ross's as he sorts them.
Some ideas about an included, flip-down magnifying sheet in the lid, pierce some holes in the foam and make a pocket in the base for a wee bag of silica gel to keep the moisture low, some sub-minature LED's around the sides of the bottom (powered by a watch battery) that light up when you open the box.
Any other ideas welcome.
(And I am not talking my usual pish here, all of the above can be done.)
[attachimg=1]
Go."

Rowan

I wouldnt mind a wee trout priest am going to give the ythan a proper bash this year so might need it. Or if you are up for it a spool caddy similar to this one:
http://www.fishingmegastore.com/uni-tray-spool-caddy~1491.html

Inchlaggan

Quote from: Rowan on May 16, 2012, 07:01:17 PM
I wouldnt mind a wee trout priest am going to give the ythan a proper bash this year so might need it. Or if you are up for it a spool caddy similar to this one:
The priest is a doddle, just give me some notion of size and I'll do you a design.
The spool caddy also a good idea, determined by the number of spools you want it to contain. Again, give me some ideas and I'll try it out. If there is any serious interest in this stuff (and Donald's Big Fly Box) I am more than happy to turn out a limited number for forum funds (less material costs, but that's it).
Go."

dazdidge

That's a good idea actually,  I have a lathe and a half decent milling machine and can knock some stuff out. I have made a few priests on the lathe from various materials, gallows tools for the vice, holders for holding fly line spools so you can wind them on without fuss, bobbin holder extension things (for holding small bobbins)
Hope you don't mind me stealing your thunder mate

daz

Rowan

Quote from: Inchlaggan on May 16, 2012, 07:16:35 PM
The priest is a doddle, just give me some notion of size and I'll do you a design.
The spool caddy also a good idea, determined by the number of spools you want it to contain. Again, give me some ideas and I'll try it out.
priest need only be 9 inches or so long not sure if it would even need weighted, just needs a nice grip and a drilled hole for lanyard
the uni-tray spool caddy is a good design because the foam holds the loose tinsel/thread in place and you can see the label on the top of the spool, I just think for 20 quid it is a bit steep for a plastic box with foam in it. If you could come up with something similar but nicer looking I'd be delighted.

Otter Spotter

Quote from: Inchlaggan on May 16, 2012, 06:36:58 PM
OK, let's reel him in.
Personalisation is the start, so I'll add his name. Nice touch, appeals to my over inflated ego
Some go-faster stripes as well. Nah bollocks to that, I am well fast enough
Wondering about the catch, I could make it with a magnetic closure. Sounds good in theory but it would have to be decent as I had a Wheatley box which was supposed to be magnetic but was crap
Interior can be glorified as well, I'm thinking ridged amadou in the bottom plus a mirrored magnetic sheet in the top for holding the Peter Ross's as he sorts them. The only PR's I use are BIG DOUBLES so as long as they fit...
Some ideas about an included, flip-down magnifying sheet in the lid, pierce some holes in the foam and make a pocket in the base for a wee bag of silica gel to keep the moisture low, some sub-minature LED's around the sides of the bottom (powered by a watch battery) that light up when you open the box. Am loving the idea but not sure how practical or usefull this will be, you'd need to change the battery and anyway I can see my blobs and boobies in almost total darkness they are that bright
Any other ideas welcome.
(And I am not talking my usual pish here, all of the above can be done.)

I like the loomis logo but it is loomis... If you have a look at this page
http://www.shutterstock.com/pic-14561230/stock-vector-various-fishbones-on-white-background-vector-illustration.html] [url]http://www.shutterstock.com/pic-14561230/stock-vector-various-fishbones-on-white-background-vector-illustration.html [/url]
The large black ones are decent and prob dont brreach any copyright

Also like this one but it would need to be illuminous for max effect

http://nola.livemusicblog.com/2012/02/15/fishbone-set-for-louisiana-run-during-mardi-gras-2012/

I used to be a surrealist but now I'm just fish.

haresear

Just a wee thought on fly boxes.

Having lost a few over the years, I now attach them to my waistcoat via a lanyard and also write my name, address and phone number on the inside. 

Alex
Protect the edge.

Go To Front Page