News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

Fly Boxes

Started by Inchlaggan, May 15, 2012, 03:04:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Black-Don

Nice stuff Ken, my project has come to a bit of a standstill for the moment but will be back on track shortly. What material would you use for a black fly box ?

Inchlaggan

Quote from: Sandfly on May 17, 2012, 05:20:40 PM
Ebony I would imagine 

Could do, but it would not float well! It is also endangered and expensive. There are plenty of others that could be stained and polished to give a great effect. The fashion for black oak furniture 20 years ago led to a the production of a high-quality stain from Ronseal that allows just about any well-finished wood to achieve the ebony effect. I still have a reasonable supply. Acrylic would do it nicely too.
Otter Spotter's Loomis logo would infringe copyright, as would the images he posted links to. Photo-etching brass can provide stunning detail, and whilst Otter Spotter is the sucker customer, and therefore always right, I thought the cartoon skeletons a bit naff for an heirloom that is going to cost him a bundle. Something more appropriate and refined I thought.
[attachimg=1]
'til a voice as bad as conscience,
rang interminable changes,
on an everlasting whisper,
day and night repeated so-
"Something hidden, go and find it,
Go and look beyond the ranges,
Something lost beyond the ranges,
Lost and waiting for you,
Go."

dazdidge

You got me thinking about this earlier, so I took a wee trip to our joiners shop and managed to scrounge some oak cut offs from them :D
We also have a seperate factory where we make mahogany doors and windows, I also get all the offcuts from them, Usually a couple of bin-bags every week, but that gets burned in the stove :crap
Just can't resist nice big lumps of kilne dried, free wood.
I can save you some of the larger pieces if you like? The grain isn't too great as it is from sustainable sources and forced but I have made a few knife scales, chopping boards etc from it. Occasionally I manage to get a nice bit of Teak as well but they are few and far between. The last one I got I saw being thrown in the skip, our kitchen fitters managed to cut the hole for the sink in the wrong place and I caught them trying to get rid of the evidence at 5am, I told them to deliver it to my house and I would forget all about it. A lovely 3mtr x 600mm sheet of teak, 50mm thick, I made and sold a few chopping boards from that one :D

daz

Inchlaggan

Jeez Daz, I'm up for that one! As a model maker, a bin bag of offcuts like that would keep me going for a year!
18" x 3" x 1/4"  Mahogany is sold to model makers for £2.56, and they are going to rip it up into much smaller pieces.
Two bin bags and I could justify the Proxxon thicknesser!
Go."

Black-Don

Quote from: daz on May 17, 2012, 06:30:01 PM
Occasionally I manage to get a nice bit of Teak as well but they are few and far between. The last one I got I saw being thrown in the skip, our kitchen fitters managed to cut the hole for the sink in the wrong place and I caught them trying to get rid of the evidence at 5am, I told them to deliver it to my house and I would forget all about it. A lovely 3mtr x 600mm sheet of teak, 50mm thick, I made and sold a few chopping boards from that one :D

daz

I got asked to do 2 worktops in an acquaintances house, think they were walnut and cost £1400 for the pair. I wouldn't touch them, not because I'm unsure of my abilities but because I couldn't see them paying the £1400 I would've charged for fitting them. Buy expensive materials and expect to pay premium labour prices or take your chances with a couple of monkey's who are likely to cut the sink hole in the wrong place  :lol:

I'd be up for any off cuts as well because most of the places that machine premium hardwooods these days use every last inch.

Inchlaggan

FAO Rowan
A priest design.
[attachimg=1]
Go."

Stonepark

Nice priest, how much lead can you get inside it?
"Just My Tuppenceworth!"

Inchlaggan

Quote from: stonepark on May 18, 2012, 03:29:31 PM
Nice priest, how much lead can you get inside it?
Anything up to 8 ounces, for balance around 4 would probably be best.
Go."

Black-Don

Rowan

looks great Ken knock me a couple out small enough to fit in my waistcoat but not too small that they cant chap a big troot

Go To Front Page