News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

How often do you replace your fly line?

Started by Wildfisher, May 17, 2012, 04:51:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wildfisher

I reckon I go through at least 2 floaters / year, but I pretty am hard on them and have a limitless supply of new lines  on hand, so I tend to consider them as disposable as tippet material. I do fish a lot though.

paulr

Black-Don

" How often do you replace your fly line? "

When I need to  :makefun

Inchlaggan

Every time the new whing dang XXP hyper-recovery, low load, spandex, lycra, loopless, sintrix, 100ft and land it on a sixpence line comes on the market.
Seriously, I examine all my lines before the start of the season and replace any that appear damaged in any way. I've stood on a few, or pulled them through rocks or similar and had to replace them. I've never had to replace on through old age alone. SWMBO thinks I have 12 lines and replace around two per annum.
'til a voice as bad as conscience,
rang interminable changes,
on an everlasting whisper,
day and night repeated so-
"Something hidden, go and find it,
Go and look beyond the ranges,
Something lost beyond the ranges,
Lost and waiting for you,
Go."

dazdidge

Quote from: guest on May 17, 2012, 05:10:14 PM
" How often do you replace your fly line? "

When I need to  :makefun

Ditto
I check mine almost every time I go fishing and replace when required. The longest I have had a line is three years, the shortest 3 days (props aint good for lines)
Even then I try to rescue them for making my own sink tips or shooting heads.

daz

dazdidge

Quote from: Alan on May 17, 2012, 06:13:38 PM
i buy a couple or more a year on average, cuts from copoly and tips that start sinking are the main culprits for replacement.

Dry them out and seal the ends with superglue. I always seal the end with glue before fitting onto my reel, stops the water getting in and turning it into a ND sink tip

Wildfisher

I have no problem with sinking tips on my lines simply by following this. It takes  a minute or less at the outset of fishing. Don't believe the waffle some come away with about floatants damaging lines. It's a myth  spread by some pretend fly fishers  who cast rather than fish out there in the wild.  Use the stuff made for the job - Mucilin, no problems. If you want the traditional red tin stuff rather than the green tin silicon, Pirate sells it on FFF.

Curing Sinking Tips On Floating Lines
A very common complaint with floating fly lines is the tendency for the tips to sink on some of them. This varies from line to line (even within the same make and model of line) and is usually worse on fine tipped, light weight lines in fast water. It is sometimes thought this is caused by water ingress at the tip of line. While this may have an effect, the real cause appears to be the thickness (or if you prefer thinness) of the buoyant line coating in relation to the line core thickness. There is a compromise here between a thicker, more buoyant coating and a thinner line tip capable of gently presenting a fly.

Another factor, sometimes overlooked, is the tapered leader, especially those with a thick butt, sinking and dragging the tip of the line under. This happens even with so-called 'floating leaders'.

The problem of sinking tips can be alleviated to some degree by always greasing at least ½ the leader from the butt forwards using a proprietary solid floatant such as Mucilin. While doing this it will do no harm at all also applying some floatant to a foot or so of the line tip. All experienced river fly fishers I know do this. Preparation is everything.

Wildfisher

Quote from: Alan on May 17, 2012, 07:22:47 PM
had a tailing loop once that knotted on the line

never had one of those, what are they like?.  :lol:

Wildfisher

When using the combo nail-needle knot just before you pull the final ½ inch  of leader through the end of the line put on a tiny dab of super glue on this loop you have formed. Then also put a tiny drop on the knot coils. This is not enough to harden the ends of the line and it does 3 things It seals the line end,  stops the short tip of line in front of the knot coils from kinking backwards and prevents the tip splitting.  That should last a long time.

haresear

QuoteWhen using the combo nail-needle knot just before you pull the final ½ of leader through the end of the line

i'm imaging people with half their leaders stuck in the fly line. I take it you mean the final half inch Fred :) That's what I do too.

How often do I change? I really don't know as I use alternate lines all the time. At a guess, if I used only one line I reckon I'd  maybe get a year out of it.

Alex
Protect the edge.

Go To Front Page