News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

How often do you replace your fly line?

Started by Wildfisher, May 17, 2012, 04:51:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wildfisher

Quote from: haresear on May 17, 2012, 08:18:04 PM
i'm imaging people with half their leaders stuck in the fly line. I take it you mean the final half inch Fred :) That's what I do too.

aye, that's it.   :lol:

I have tried just about every method of attaching leaders, as you know,  and that is the best by far. I keep coming back to it. The glue perfects it.  :8)

Traditionalist

Quote from: admin on May 17, 2012, 04:51:48 PM
I reckon I go through at least 2 floaters / year, but I pretty am hard on them and have a limitless supply of new lines  on hand, so I tend to consider them as disposable as tippet material. I do fish a lot though.

Quite a long time before they look even remotely like this;

http://www.wildfisher.co.uk/smf/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=18367.0;attach=47428;image

and if they have great big cracks in them I replace them anyway, whether they need it or knot! Although some might disagree............!  :)

TL
MC

haresear

I was waiting on that :lol:

That I may say was an extreme example, but I do use them, cracks and all until they are well and truly done. :)

Alex
Protect the edge.

Traditionalist

Quote from: haresear on May 17, 2012, 11:03:33 PM
I was waiting on that :lol:

That I may say was an extreme example, but I do use them, cracks and all until they are well and truly done. :)

Alex

This line is dead, I know a dead line when I see one..................................

The Parrot Sketch

TL
MC

haresear

QuoteI've had the same DT4 for use on rivers for over ten years

Respect, dude, respect. :lol:

Alex
Protect the edge.

Traditionalist

Quote from: Exerod on May 18, 2012, 12:03:57 PM
Cheers.
I might turn it around this season and get another 10 years out of it :D

Andy

Cut the next one in half to begin with. You then have two good lines and as the other half is not mounted on a reel it stays in pristine condition.  This doubles the life and halves the cost of lines, apart from quite a few other advantages.

TL
MC

Stonepark

I change my lines normally before they are showing cracks and excessive signs of wear, a bit like hanging tyres at 3mm instead of waiting to 1.6mm and asking for trouble....
"Just My Tuppenceworth!"

Darwin

I have only been fly fishing for about 4 years and none of my line have been used nearly enough to wear out. ( or enough to make me happy)   

bibio1

I can get around 5 years out a line. I do look after them and clean them regularly. Thereafter I apply silicone dressing such as armore all.

Cheers

Paul

Highlander

I am like Paul, Some of my lines have lasted a few years or five. I tend to look after them but maybe do not fish as much as the rest of you.
Will try a couple of Fred's lines next though.
Tight Lines
" The Future's Bright The Future's Wet Fly"

Nemo me impune lacessit

Go To Front Page