News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

wood turning

Started by dazdidge, July 24, 2012, 05:30:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dazdidge

Don't know if this post is best suited to here or the general forum? It's not fishing gear.

Does anyone on here do wood turning? I may be in need of a nice bowl, specifications to follow but it will be no bigger than about 3" diameter and 2" deep and a really simple affair, possibly with a lid but I haven't quite decided yet
I have done a little wood turning on my metal lathe but the rpm's don't go quite high enough, apart from that it took ages the last time to to clean up all the mess after the dust mixed with the slide oil. That mix in general is not good for metalworking lathes!

Quite willing to pay, or even better, swap for something I can knock up on the metal lathe or milling machine. How about a nice priest or fire piston? If there is someone on here that can, there is a good chance I could also get you some sales for your beer/tackle money :D

daz

dazdidge

Some excellent work there Mike. It is something I would give a bash, but to be honest I am only looking for one or two small bowls for storing/working shaving soap. If it was something I thought I would make more use of then I would go for it. I do some simple wood turning in my metal lathe, but due to the lack of speed it tends to rip the wood a little which obviously leads to a massive increase in finishing and at present I don't have the right workholding equipment for a bowl. Someday I will get myself a wood turning lathe, theres nothing quite like the feeling of digging a gouge in at the wrong angle and shitting yourself :lol:

cheers

daz

dazdidge

Looking good Monkeyboab, much cheaper than some of the ones I googled earlier!!!

I just ordered a nice wee pile of soaps from Connaught at the weekend as well as an alum block and other bits and pieces, never thought to check them for bowls though. It wasn't until today I decided I needed one, all my previous ones were plastic. 

daz

Monkeyboab

Glad to hear it, didn't know if it was actually for shaving soaps. I've been making twist up shave sticks to use in the mornings for speed. Are you using a straight or a DE?

dazdidge

Both straights, a Dovo Favorit and a stainless Dovo 41. The 41 is just about to be sent away for a honing after my mates uncle decided he could do it for me, bad mistake!!! Got a big smile and some nicks out of the edge, keeping fingers crossed it can be sorted.
I have only just got them back out again, I haven't shaved for about 4 years (seriously!!!) I just use a set of clippers on head and face but for some strange reason decided to get them back out again. I have been thinking about getting a DE the last wee while but I am having enough trouble rediscovering technique for the straight without adding something else into the mix.
Face is BBS though, the better half is loving it and I have only cut myself once :)

Making your own twist up sticks? Wouldn't mind seeing how you put them together, I wouldn't bother for myself as I just wait till I get home and have time. Not nice trying to rush with with a straight, always turns out bad and bloody :lol:

What you using yourself?

Monkeyboab

Dovo's are nice I hope it can be sorted. I shave with both straights and DE's. Straights I use a Joseph Rodgers and a wade and butcher. DE's I have allot from the modern R41 to vintage adjustable slim and fat boys and a host of others some replated in rhodium. I also have allot of custom handles if you could turn those on your metal lathe .....Kerching!

I've made the shave sticks with arko, Mitchell's wool fat and a coconut glycerin soap I got. Going to squeeze cella into one too I love cella!  I got twist up tubes I ordered online they are spot on.

Yeah rushing with the straight kinda defeats the whole purpose.  I've only had one bad cut and it scarred, that was using a shavette before straights. Don't use one if I can help it now, far less forgiving than the straight.

dazdidge

Thinking about getting myself a DE, but to be honest I probably have enough obsessions in my life at present. Some of the guys on TSR scare me the way they spend money. Seems like you have got the bug too :lol:
Are the shavette things like a straight but with replaceable blades? Have heard they can be tricky because of the lack of weight and feel in them. Guy at work just brought one back from Turkey, can't wait to see him when he uses it for the first time :lol:

Monkeyboab

I'm trying to chuck the bug  :(

Yeah a shavette is just that you put half a DE blade in them. Your rite about the weight if you get a light one you have to try and push it instead of letting the weight do the work. I got a nice stainless one after the light one incident  :shock:I can imagine your mate being pretty cut up about his purchase lol.

If you get a DE you like its gives a great shave and is super cheap for blades, couple that with some of the soaps and creams you can get for very little and you could save a fortune if you were that way inclined. I'm not I've blown a bloody fortune :( but I've got some nice razors  :D

So do you think you could turn a razor handle and thread it? Look on UFO handle he charges £45 a handle.

Go To Front Page