News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

Cedar-Strip Canoe Plans

Started by Wildfisher, August 16, 2012, 12:23:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wildfisher

Chaps, Billy sent me these plans. You will be interested in this. Billy will fill in the details.

There are 3 x pdfs as follows

http://www.wildfisher.co.uk/specials/canoe/CanoePlansPart1.pdf
http://www.wildfisher.co.uk/specials/canoe/CanoePlansPart2.pdf
http://www.wildfisher.co.uk/specials/canoe/CanoePlansPart3.pdf

Let's all build one and annoy salmon  fishers.   :lol:

Billy

Fred,

Thanks for the assistance in getting them on the forum. they were a bit big to attach from this end.

With work being a bit slow for me at the moment. It happens when you are at the end of the food chain and waiting for other disciplines to finish their work before you can do yours. I started trawling through the web looking for a wee project.

I had seen these in a couple of outdoor type shops in Toronto in june and thought I would see how they were made.
I am not sure if I would be allowed to take over the garage for something like this although I have liked boats for years. I had a 14' boat with a cuddy which I replaced before I was told by SWMBO that it was taking up too much room. So away it went.
I worked in the back of beyond in Norway a few years ago and built a model clipper in much the same way as the strip canoes. Apparently it was not in keeping with the furniture at home and went the same way as the 14 footer.
My last was a canadian canoe which ended up on e-bay one weekend.

Anyway I found this interesting and though there would be a few of you handymen who might actually give it a go.

Billy

Inchlaggan

Thanks to you both for posting.
Looks like another model-making project for me, no space for a full size one!
'til a voice as bad as conscience,
rang interminable changes,
on an everlasting whisper,
day and night repeated so-
"Something hidden, go and find it,
Go and look beyond the ranges,
Something lost beyond the ranges,
Lost and waiting for you,
Go."

Otter Spotter

Some years ago I was watching Ray Mears Bushcraft. The topic in the episode was the construction, using traditional methods, of a birch bark canoe. It was a truly inspirational piece of TV (well for me at least). The love and care that went into its production was tangible and the end result beautiful. Now, I say inspirational, it didnt inspire me to make my own, I have neither the skills or patience for that, but I did go out and get myself a wee kayak for pottering about in (a plastic one but thats what I could afford). One of the best buys I ever made, I dont use it as much as I should bet get immense pleasure from it when I do.

In the orvis shop down the road from the office here they got a maple constructed one, I think they are looking for £2.5k for it  :shock:

Ken cant wait to see what you come up with.
I used to be a surrealist but now I'm just fish.

burnie

Thanks for that lads, often thought of building a boat,my dad did,but I just can't seem to find the time. I too remember Ray Mears' canoe, easy if you've got a native first nation helping you who's done it before!

Inchlaggan

Read through the plans and did some thinking about a model. The strongback should be do-able, but at a managable 1:12 scale the sides are 1/48" (0.021")thick and 3/48" (0.063") wide. I can get Maple strip at 0.5mm x 3mm (when are these Europeans going to learn to measure things properly-0.020" x 0.118") which would have to be cut in two lengthways with a scalpel- possible but tricky, giving 0.020" x 0.059" only 4 thou out- that would be close enough for me. There is not much surface area to glue the edges together, but something like Roket Card Glue should hold it. Fibreglass would be replaced with the tissue used in balsa model aircraft, when treated with cellulose dope this would give the strength required, but it shrinks as it dries, so serious care would be required not to pull the hull out of alignment.
Even at this stage it would be too delicate to sand, the interior "fibreglassing" would have to be done first, and then return it to the strongback for sanding.
From there on home it is pretty straightforward, with the exception of the delicacy of the sides, misalign a clamp and you have made a hole and it is lots of bad words and back to square one. Suitable sized mesh (curtain netting) would be used for the cane seats.
Easy to dream about, a bit of a beggar to get right first time, but "nothing ventured" and all that.
Go."

Malcolm

Well,

I've decided to have a go at this over the winter. My partner in crime and boatbuilding got all twitchy and excited when I showed him these plans. We've built small boats before but this one looks so good. Not sure about the cedar strips (16ft long!) but I think we can get away with shorter.

There's nocht sae sober as a man blin drunk.
I maun hae goat an unco bellyfu'
To jaw like this

Wildfisher

is cedar not a tad on the expensive side? I know cedar  framed greenhouses are very expensive.

Inchlaggan

Buying it machined will cost you a mint right enough.
A good table saw to rip up some planks, and a thicknesser to finish them and you save a fortune.
Best prices I have found are around £200-£300 mark. The transportation of 16ft lengths is what is going to cost you.
Cedar is not essential as the canoe is fibreglassed inside and out, plenty of other options. But cedar will look good.
Put in the effort, and £500-£600 of materials will easily equate to a £2,500 end result.
Sad thing is, I can make the model for £50-60 materials, but will have to spend just about the same amount of time completing a model as the real thing- I just don't get paid for it, nor can I use it, just look at it.
Go."

Malcolm

Cosmetics Fachan!

I'll be researching prices over the next couple of months.
There's nocht sae sober as a man blin drunk.
I maun hae goat an unco bellyfu'
To jaw like this

Go To Front Page